0 to 1 TDS after only a few uses?

chris_pull

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
174
Reaction score
140
Location
UK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a 5 stage RO/DI system with a dual membrane installed in series. Both membranes are 50 gpd. I’ve used the system about 6 times over the course of a couple of months, making about 10 gallons or so each time. TDS before RO is about 260, and after both membranes, and before DI, 7 TDS. Up until now I’ve had 0 TDS from my product lien but today I noticed I’m getting a 1TDS reading.

I thought perhaps the dual membranes were burning the resin faster but 7 TDS before DI doesn’t seem too bad from what I’ve read online.

Any thoughts on what’s going on? I’m new to RO/DI so hope I've not made a any mistakes!

I have an inline HM TDS meter and the flow restrictor is 450. This is the flow restrictor that came with the system but when I ordered the second membrane it came with a lower restrictor (I think 300) and I was unsure which to use.
 
I was having issues burning through di resin and I added a t valve after the ro portion. When you first turn on the unit you have tds creep and it can cause you to burn through di resin. When I first start my rodi unit I turn the valve to run the RO product water down the drain. After about 5-10mins or once my ro water tds has stabilized (around 5tds for me) I turn the valve to allow the water to go through the di resin. Since then my di resin last at least 4x as long if not longer.
 
7 after 260 is about right for a 95% membrane. So its not the RO part.
It could be whats in the 7 thats causing fast resin depletion. Co2 from well water. Salt from a water softener ect....
You could try the above method to see if that makes a difference.
I could also be the TDS meter. 0 and 1 are pretty close.
 
Do you mix in the same container. Resido salt will cause tds
 
My Seven Stage, 150 GPD started doing the same thing. I had the water tested by someone I know, with a meter that is more sophisticated. He does water systems maintenance. Came up Zero on every sample. He said my sensor(s) needed cleaning, but he had no idea on how to clean them.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top