1 gallon invert/coral bowl question

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2017
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
7,515
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm setting up a invert/coral 1gallon pico reef. Im getting some live rock and I have the sand. I have the aerator already and one and only to cycle the tank. I live in south Florida and I'm wondering if I need a heater for this tank. I will be using a par38 light for the tank. Also what micro powerhead could I use in the tank?
 
From the single gallon tanks that I have seen they usually don't have power heads. I would use a heater as I am sure you have A/C running. People with more experience will probably chime in.
 
From the single gallon tanks that I have seen they usually don't have power heads. I would use a heater as I am sure you have A/C running. People with more experience will probably chime in.

The ac where it will be going is at like 76. It will be going in a school classroom. Also I would need a powerhead for the corals who like flow
 
Consider replacing the aerator with a little submersible fountain pump. Bubbles from air stones will pop on the surface and cause salt creep. Can damage the surface your tank is on, looks ugly and for a tank that size may mess with your specific gravity. Not sure what pump is best... if this is a round bowl, maybe something that will sit at the bottom. With any in-tank pump, be careful to guard the intake so creatures don't get sucked in. Heater is keeps tank temp stable... whether temp fluctuations at night, or in winter, or if the tank is kept in a room where AC keeps temp low. There are very small heaters available. The cords will be ugly, and you will need to balance protection from the cold with protection from the heater itself (heaters go bad, and you won't notice a sharp temp change either up or down until it is too late).
 
Consider replacing the aerator with a little submersible fountain pump. Bubbles from air stones will pop on the surface and cause salt creep. Can damage the surface your tank is on, looks ugly and for a tank that size may mess with your specific gravity. Not sure what pump is best... if this is a round bowl, maybe something that will sit at the bottom. With any in-tank pump, be careful to guard the intake so creatures don't get sucked in. Heater is keeps tank temp stable... whether temp fluctuations at night, or in winter, or if the tank is kept in a room where AC keeps temp low. There are very small heaters available. The cords will be ugly, and you will need to balance protection from the cold with protection from the heater itself (heaters go bad, and you won't notice a sharp temp change either up or down until it is too late).

The coldest it got by me is 65f this "winter" and the buildings ac is 76f. I really only need a aerator or a pump. If I can find a pump I'll do that route instead
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top