It has been a couple years. The project was delayed because of two reasons. One, I bought a house and moved to a new location. Also, the pandemic made lumber prices go through the roof, which would have quintupled my costs.
Lumber prices seem to be getting a bit more reasonable. And I've settled into my new house. So I'm back to designing this thing again in its new location.
New place, new challenges.
I have most of the materials for the geodesic dome. I also have most of the materials for the earthbag retaining wall. But I can't use my original concept, which was to dig a shallow, round "basement" and put in a retaining wall concentric inside it.
For several reasons (nearby trees, water main) I cannot dig. Instead, I must build up.
So the new plan is to build a circular earthbag wall with no breaks in it. (except perhaps embedded pipes for tank draining into a nearby creek. But essentially an unbroken circular wall.)
This part is no problem. I'd basically be building a large, 16" thick-walled pipe three feet tall and 24 feet in diameter. Like an above ground pool. That should be as stable as stable can be, since earthbags are literally made to be dams to keep floodwaters at bay.
I can also do the same thing inside, making a second round earthbag wall nested inside, filling it with water, and voila! 3000 gallon fishtank.
This is certainly the simplest and most structurally sound option. But it doesn't have any way to watch the fish.
So I'm back to my original quandry. How do I embed viewing windows into the inner earthbag wall? Do I even need an inner earthbag wall anymore, or can I just build a large plywood tank? I'm talking really large. Cost would be a problem.
But an earthbag wall nested inside another would not be that expensive, if I can think of a way to make a very large waterproof doughnut with viewing panels in the side. Fish safe, of course. And using what I have learned in this thread, probably 1" thick cell cast acrylic with top bracing.
Sigh. This is seeming unrealistic but I have not yet given up. The good news is a smaller scale version of this wouldn't be terrible to mock up and I could test the windows fairly easily. So that's my current plan: Make a mini version and try out the idea.
