125 gallon basement sump, tempered glass. What return pump?

jparsley55

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2021
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 125 gallon glass tank to use for a basement sump. DT is on the first floor. I got the tank home and saw that it was tempered glass. I know you can’t drill it so I was hoping for some advice for a return pump. I planned on doing a large external pump but now that I can’t drill I don’t know if there are submersibles strong enough? Or if I ran the external pumps pvc over the side I know it would have priming issues in a power interruption. Help! The return will probably go up about 6 ft in the basement, 90 degree then 12 linear feet. Then up another 3 feet to tee off to the returns on the DT. Then up about 4 ft to the top of the tank.
 
If your total system is less than 180 gal the COR20 is submersible and can do the job and is very silent.
 
I just picked up a 125 gallon glass tank to use for a basement sump. DT is on the first floor. I got the tank home and saw that it was tempered glass. I know you can’t drill it so I was hoping for some advice for a return pump. I planned on doing a large external pump but now that I can’t drill I don’t know if there are submersibles strong enough? Or if I ran the external pumps pvc over the side I know it would have priming issues in a power interruption. Help! The return will probably go up about 6 ft in the basement, 90 degree then 12 linear feet. Then up another 3 feet to tee off to the returns on the DT. Then up about 4 ft to the top of the tank.
Sicce has a Syncra HIgh Flow pump with 4200 gph. Maybe?
 
If your total system is less than 180 gal the COR20 is submersible and can do the job and is very silent.
I guess I should have added that the DT is a 240... thank you
 
I’ve got 240 with basement sump and use a Sicce SDC 9.0 at 75% capacity.
I’m assuming you get good flow in your DT and what not? It’s definitely affordable, thank you for the input!
 
I’m assuming you get good flow in your DT and what not? It’s definitely affordable, thank you for the input!
Decent flow but I don’t rely on that for my flow in the tank. For that I have gyres and vortechs.
 
Decent flow but I don’t rely on that for my flow in the tank. For that I have gyres and vortechs.
Ok, plan on having a couple of power heads, maybe hydor. Just wanted to turn the tank volume over sufficiently.
 
Iwaki all day long, I’m building a basement setup currently. Check out @Z&KFarmsWI build
Iwaki was my plan but since I can’t drill the sump I’d have to run the pipe over the side of the sump. You think the md100 would do well for that? Is it possible for it to start back up after a power outage without manual intervention?
 
Why can’t you drill the sump?
It has a tempered glass do not drill sticker on it. I know most just have the bottom tempered but I’d hate to shatter it
 
I would double check your side panels and make sure if they are tempered or not. If you haven’t done so, you can with a pair of polarized glasses and an lcd screen. My 75g tank/sump also says tempered on the bottom, but my other panels were not. I was also going to run my iwaki over the side with pvc but as you stated it will and did have priming issues. I was able to drill mine with proper checking and advice and now have my iwaki running as it should. I wish you the best of luck with whatever outcome :)
 
I would double check your side panels and make sure if they are tempered or not. If you haven’t done so, you can with a pair of polarized glasses and an lcd screen. My 75g tank/sump also says tempered on the bottom, but my other panels were not. I was also going to run my iwaki over the side with pvc but as you stated it will and did have priming issues. I was able to drill mine with proper checking and advice and now have my iwaki running as it should. I wish you the best of luck with whatever outcome :)
Thanks for all the info! I will definitely try the glasses trick!
 
Sicce Syncra ADV 10 has max head of 23’ and max flow of 2700GPH. So you might get around 1000-1100GPH?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top