140 gallon sps tank with a twist

dave0concept

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 21, 2017
Messages
10
Reaction score
19
Location
calgary, alberta
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

My name is Dave from Calgary Canada, after shutting down my 947 gallon SPS tank late last year due to not having enough time to take care of it the way it needed. I wanted to do something a little bit more manageable this time around. Since i was limited too only the space on my desk I figured I wanted something a little bit different. ;Cat

In late Jan this year it hit me what I was looking for
pk6bjSX.jpg

n61HdHn.jpg

Sb4UPxP.jpg

jLoP8Vc.jpg


In that time not much work got done at work ;Shy

After getting water and live rock in, I started testing to see what lighting would best fit the tank

Started with the kessil A360we
mC0wGjF.jpg


Then want to the kessil a700's
rPXbHl3.jpg

c92bBUO.jpg


Ending up going with 6 kessil A360 with T5 add on's
NwIKqJS.jpg


Fast forward too today this is what the tank looks like
BiKZoks.jpg


Sorry for the phone pic's, let's see if my skills with a camera improves as I give updates too this tank lol
 
Wow that's awesome!

Thank you, I have had some ups and downs so far with the tank but after six months things are starting to settle down some what

Getting good growth on most of the acros now but still not getting the colors like I see with other tanks I see on forums:(

This is a reefraft orange passion frag that was given to me but I really don't see any orange in it lol
z4zU255.jpg


Not sure what this ones called as it was given to me by Jay from reefraft canada but it sure does have nice colors in person
C4lNVyp.jpg
 
So today I want and pick up a couple of new ati t5 bulds to change things up a little bit

I was running 4 ati superblue plus with the kessil for the last few months and was not getting the colors i was hoping for, so today i want and grabbed 2 ati coral plus bulb to try out
a8OwvV8.jpg


So this was with the tank running on 4 superblue none edited right from the phone camera
Dcgnozo.jpg


This one is the same picture with just adjusting the white balance to 9500k on the phone
o3knXkM.jpg


Now with removing two superblues and adding two coralplus none edited
yPWkwC8.jpg


This with the white balance adjusted to about 7500K
Lg4CC0s.jpg



The tank seems a lot bright now, so I think I will leave it with this combo for a couple weeks to see how the corals reacts
 
Wow, built-in top-down viewer... novel idea! Looks really nice Dave.
 
Had a little free time today, so decide to call up a buddy who had c and c at his work. A little planing and about 2 hours programming, a new lid was on top of the tank lol

just dry fitting it here to see if every thing lined up
zcfIVrf.jpg

lefvGmc.jpg


and here is the finished look of it
52BAenO.jpg

YfQxEIl.jpg


that mesh is dang hard to line up, really not sure how some guys can make it come out so straight :(
 
after months of telling myself "I will not name chase corals this time" lol I folded like a house of cards:(

not much to see now but i sure hope I can turns these into something:)

walt disney
niWE1tv.jpg


reefraft wolverine
Py5qwTN.jpg


reefraft maleficent
5BvzIMV.jpg


reefraft jaw dropper
VtGWuzb.jpg
 
Great Tank! I bet its killer for viewing! No shame in name chasing man, usually they're named because they're beautiful and unique but I still dont shy away from no names thats for sure! Good stuff keep going!
 
Wow, built-in top-down viewer... novel idea! Looks really nice Dave.

Thank you

Very interesting tank design... Corals look good!

Thank you

Great Tank! I bet its killer for viewing! No shame in name chasing man, usually they're named because they're beautiful and unique but I still dont shy away from no names thats for sure! Good stuff keep going!

I know I shouldn't but just can't help myself lol

Awesome tank.It must be hard working from that desk.

Thank you gacolt, I own a couple of small companies and I have really good guys running them, so here is not much I have to do most days;)

Here is a look at what i see from my desk

The back of this reef tank
GJ6O1Gb.jpg


Turn a little more to the left is the 948 gallon asian arowana tank and the turtle tank
ZfOqzuR.jpg


Then behind my desk is a large 12 foot peacock cichlid tank with dart frogs
0u67ilN.jpg
 
Really cool setup! Where would one find that mesh for the lid?
 
Another 2 thumbs up for a great looking tank! I love the unique design.
 
Really cool setup! Where would one find that mesh for the lid?

I ordered it from Industrial netting from Minneapolis and the parts number is ON2015-120P

I think they sell them for around 66 cents a linear feet but they came in 10 feet lenghts
 
Beautiful system Dave!! I'm really curious to seeing and reading a detailed description of all of your set ups. Looks awesome!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top