16 month old (new to me) tank, algae ID please

Steve089

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
122
Reaction score
225
Location
Annapolis area
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
set up this IM Nuvo 20 last friday. was told the tank was 16 months old. from what I can see, there appears to be dead GHA all over the rock and some new greenish/brown algae forming. also will mention that when cleaning out the sandbed/setting up the tank, I siphoned out a lot of stuff that looked like brown slime, was lots of small chunky bits, like rice crispy size. finally. pulled off 3 little bubble algae that were forming on a frag (glad i caught that). I plan on providing testing #s tomorrow after I test for the first time. didnt come with any CUC, so I currently have 2 cerith snails and 2 hermits that I transferred from another tank

my question is, can you please help me ID what’s on the rock currently? I’m thinking about taking the rock out and scrubbing it with a brush in some tank water to get some of the nasties off. ID below:

E08373F5-7278-4621-9926-AD79B1E56337.png
BE3CF5D1-4D33-4F6A-A8F5-9D4AA8643600.jpeg
C599D0B7-68E5-40B2-BF61-0728E39E9A57.jpeg
C944E47B-384D-44D4-9627-F0ADDF00466F.jpeg
 
I had the same debris growing on my LR. Turned out to be the precursor to a very stubborn Dino outbreak for me. I pulled the rock and scrubbed it but I was never able to rid the tank . I eventually had to tear down my tank. If you can grab a water sample and check under a microscope we can help ID
 
heres what I got! pulled off a tuft of the stuff in question and made a slide with the water drop that fell off. green stuff is on 4x, smaller stuff is on 40x, high as it goes :( did not observe a whole lot of activity/movement, just occasionally small clear organisms swimming alone

1AA97EEE-9C3F-4FC9-B4D5-2BFAA477B5A2.png
F076FCD4-C1B7-4B31-8E5C-7D3B2F539BEF.jpeg
BEE61004-5AE5-4EEE-89F0-92A55481126A.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Google “diatom microscope” for some images and see if it matches. Are you using tap or RODI water or something else?
 
using RODI from a new BRS 4 stage and I will for sure google and see if I can find a match

edit, just found this guy moving around, brown long oval shape, theres 2 in the bottom pic...diatoms?

9A152AF3-8B38-423B-891B-99CBD327A81D.jpeg
3A7CAE58-6002-4476-8FE7-ECBB6ED076BA.jpeg
 
Last edited:
additional things: RODI unit used on the tank with old owner (BRS 3 stage) looked like the media had never been changed (one chamber was tan colored from buildup). the filter sock was absolutely filthy when I checked it, was informed that it hadn’t been changed in a while, and no skimmer was ran. also no CUC.

so if it does turn out to be diatoms, which after googling vids im 99% sure it is, then it makes sense based on past poor husbandry/maintenance practices.
 
Chrysophytes maybe?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top