180 gallons of salt water

jdloftness

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2017
Messages
127
Reaction score
35
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am very close to completing my 180 gallon build. Soon I will need 180 gallon or so of salt water for my new tank, although I only have a 20 gallon Brut I use for RODI water for my current 50g.

I can either make salt water, 20 gallons at a time, or fill my tank with 180 gallons and try to adequately mix the salt with power heads. Is one idea better than the other? Does anyone have any other suggestions I might not be thinking of?

Help!
 
Usually i place rock & sand then use a 24g brute at a time so that you know approx how many gallons a fill from empty takes.

I've also just let it rip and just run the poly line straight to the tank and babysit. My 150gpd rodi 4 stage setup bangs out 7 gallons in 60 minutes so a day and a 1/2 it is possible to get a 180g filled in my case.

When there is no livestock, I just dump salt into display, after fill and let the powerheads do their thing.

Edit: as you probably know, the 180g will only hold between 130-160g of actual water depending on how much sand and rock your using.
 
When I filled my 180g, I filled it with RODI water, then I added salt.

jPhhzcY.jpg


It took a little over 2 days. I also had dry rock and dry sand.
 
There is really no reason you cannot mix directly in the tank.

Just a thought, if you're standing up a 180g tank, You should really increase your water storage capability. A 55g drum is what I use.
The larger the tank volume, the more you will need on hand not just for scheduled maintenance but also for that"ooh crud" moment.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top