1st FRAG TANK…….Expertise needed.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12,610
Location
ARIZONA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need your knowledge and experience with specific details regarding a new frag tank build.
Presently, I have a 180g reef with a smokin 40g breeder sump with Fijicube baffles.
I’ve got a large Tyree Neon Green Toadstool Leather coral that I want to frag out into approximately 40 frags, grow them out for a year or so and sell them. I’m soon purchasing a Zoo Med Low Boy. Dimensions are: 48” x 24” x 10”.
I’ve built stands and sumps before setting up my whole systems in the past. So I could do this……..but there are a few things that I would like to get advice on by skilled FT gurus before making any regrettable poor choices.
Those being:
1. What type of overflow should I purchase?

2. Sand? Gravel? Live rock?

3. Top 3 places to sell?

Please go into as much detail as you can!!!!!!!

Thanks Glenn
431FEB29-F284-4F6E-A8E7-347674515611.jpeg
44D8225D-1E64-44C8-8662-443C05A653F8.jpeg
 
I don't really have experience with aftermarket overflows since all my tanks came reef ready so I leave that for someone else to comment about, but I would run a frag tank as a bare bottom. Some live rock or block media for biological filtration under the frag racks.
 
I don't really have experience with aftermarket overflows since all my tanks came reef ready so I leave that for someone else to comment about, but I would run a frag tank as a bare bottom. Some live rock or block media for biological filtration under the frag racks.
Appreciate your input. So the Marine Pure blocks I believe you’re referring to. In a 50 gallon frag tank. What do you think two? I’m a live rock guy, I’ve never used them.
 
This is what i did with my zoomed lowboy frag tank

 
Appreciate your input. So the Marine Pure blocks I believe you’re referring to. In a 50 gallon frag tank. What do you think two? I’m a live rock guy, I’ve never used them.
I think two would be enough. They have tons of surface area. But you could use live rock if you prefer, I just think that the block would be easier when it comes to tank cleaning.
 
I think two would be enough. They have tons of surface area. But you could use live rock if you prefer, I just think that the block would be easier when it comes to tank cleaning.
Agreed, I’ll probably grab a couple of them and place them in my 180g dt sump and have them seeded for the build next month. Thanks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top