2 Vortech MP40’s for 180 gallon?

alex277

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2022
Messages
65
Reaction score
17
Location
Fort Wayne
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of setting up my first reef tank, 6x2x2 footprint. All the corals I’m stocking all require a medium flow for the most part. I’m wondering if I can get two Vortech MP40’s to get a medium flow? Is this sufficient power for lps and softies? Are these pumps strong enough to reach the middle of the tank, if I put one on each end? Or will it not reach? Thank you for any help as I’m new to this, only done freshwater :)
 
In the process of setting up my first reef tank, 6x2x2 footprint. All the corals I’m stocking all require a medium flow for the most part. I’m wondering if I can get two Vortech MP40’s to get a medium flow? Is this sufficient power for lps and softies? Are these pumps strong enough to reach the middle of the tank, if I put one on each end? Or will it not reach? Thank you for any help as I’m new to this, only done freshwater :)
To give you perspective, my tank is half your dimensions. I run 2 MP40s at 38% anti sync during the day and it is plenty for my mixed reef.
 
I am using 2 on a 6x2x2 and they are perfect
IMG_4576-L.jpg
 
Last edited:
To give you perspective, my tank is half your dimensions. I run 2 MP40s at 38% anti sync during the day and it is plenty for my mixed reef.
No dead spots? That was my main concern, is if the two would cover everything to avoid any dead spots.
 
I have a 60x36x24 - roughly 220gals

I have (4)-mp40’s, all running 98% reef crest, and 400gph through my return, and I still get some dead spots.
 
Will really depend on your aquascape. I have a tank with similar dimensions and use 2 mp 40s. I'm prepared to buy more if necessary but it's been several years and am still ok. 2 is a good place to start and evaluate whether you need more. They are not exactly cheep so why spend the cash upfront if not absolutely necessary.
 
I have 2 x MP40's running at about 50% and an MP10 for the back area running at 75% for my 180 g custom. For my 200G - i have an MP60 and 2 x MP40s.
IMG_3488.png

180 G custom. This was before adding a MP10 to the back left side - to help with dead spot there.
IMG_3624 (1).png

200 G RedSea 750 XXL - with MP60 on the left and 2 x MP40 on the right
 
I run 2 on a 180 and I get a good swaying movement from nems and softies. I do have one addition Powerhead at the bottom rear corner just to push some water behind7the rocks. How you do your rockscape will be the biggest factor if to dill wotk or not I think. Not a great image but give an idea of the stock and rock layout mp40s are mounted close to the center on opposite ends

20220530_102156.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top