As originally suggested by
@Lasse I did a large water change last night of about 18 gallons (about 33%). I tested NO3 before and after the water change. Before the WC, my NO3 was close to 20 ppm. After the WC, NO3 was reduced to about 15 ppm. This is about as close as I can get given the reference colors on the Red Sea test kit. I'm glad that the color changed to be between two different reference colors than before the WC. I tested the WC saltwater for Alk and got 8.3 so I dosed to increase that to 9 before doing the WC. My original post had Mag of 1480, this should have been 1580. My correct levels before and after the WC are as follows.
Before-
Alk: 9 dKH
Calc: 490 ppm
Mag: 1580 ppm
NO3: 22 ppm
After-
Alk: 9 dKH
Calc: 450 ppm
Mag: 1500 ppm
NO3: 15 ppm
I have a very newbie question about WC. When you have to do say a 50% WC, are you removing 50% of the system water from either the DT or sump and then replacing that water or are you adding new water at the same time as old water is being removed? I'm used to freshwater tanks and doing WC by just adding new water while extra system water overflows out of the system down the drain. For saltwater I have been removing water from the sump, then replacing it before starting up the return pump so that none of the new water gets removed during the WC. Last night I removed as much water as I could from the sump while keeping the pumps and chaeto submerged and then removed water from my DT to clean the sand until the water was just above the highest coral. This came out to the 18 gallons. I would like to know what others are doing when they say a 50% WC because if I'm adding 50% of my system volume in new water to the system while I'm pumping out system water (even if I'm doing that from behind where the new water is added) I know I'm not actually removing 50% of the old water. Again, am I way over thinking this? Thanks!