220 72x24x30 build 2 full siphon 1 emergency 1 return

reefman323

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 27, 2024
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Location
florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
setting up a 220 72x24x30
has dual overflows with two 1” bulkheads in each overflow. Really not trying to run returns behind. This is all dry fitted and not glued yet. Did enough research and with running 2 full siphons on each side, left has an emergency the right has the return. I figured with gate valves not fully
Open the chances of both full siphons getting clogged is slim to none plus the return chamber does not hold much water. Think it will be ok? Also only running 1 1” return out of the right overflow will that be enough return for 6 feet.

IMG_9837.jpeg IMG_9839.jpeg
 
I’m struggling to understand the purpose of 2 full siphons. If one clogs, your emergency will need to go to full siphon to keep up. If both clog your tank is overflowing. The rule I’ve always followed is never pump more water than your emergency can handle alone. I suppose to fix this, you could double the size of your emergency pipe. Or run one at partial siphon like a bean animal.
 
I’m struggling to understand the purpose of 2 full siphons. If one clogs, your emergency will need to go to full siphon to keep up. If both clog your tank is overflowing. The rule I’ve always followed is never pump more water than your emergency can handle alone. I suppose to fix this, you could double the size of your emergency pipe. Or run one at partial siphon like a bean animal.
I thought of running bean animal, just haven’t found much information on bean animal split between 2 overflows. I don’t want one overflow stagnant with the return. Haven’t bought a return pump yet so with 1” return I figured I could get a pump big enough to handle 2 1” drains
 
If you haven't already, before making anything permanent I'd try to figure out:

1) How much GPH your return will push back into the Display

and

2) How much GPH that Sump can handle

I think it's very possible you will face a bottleneck in one of those two areas, and that a pair of bean animals may be sufficient.
 
If you haven't already, before making anything permanent I'd try to figure out:

1) How much GPH your return will push back into the Display

and

2) How much GPH that Sump can handle

I think it's very possible you will face a bottleneck in one of those two areas, and that a pair of bean animals may be sufficient.
Return pump hasn’t been purchased yet but thinking of a more than powerful enough dc pump where I can adjust and with the gate valves I should be able to tune them to get the right flow but might take some time. I did not think of what the gph of the sump could handle though. I guess if I had too I can close of gate valves more and turn down pump. Not really sure what gph flow I’m aiming for yet
 
Return pump hasn’t been purchased yet but thinking of a more than powerful enough dc pump where I can adjust and with the gate valves I should be able to tune them to get the right flow but might take some time. I did not think of what the gph of the sump could handle though. I guess if I had too I can close of gate valves more and turn down pump. Not really sure what gph flow I’m aiming for yet
I love your approach on the return pump...

It sounds to me like the next step is to see if you can figure out what the sump/socks can handle. That will give you a maximum target range to shoot for.

I just went through a similar thing when moving & rebuilding my 280g. In my case, the rollermats were the bottleneck (2500gph) and then I designed the overflows/returns around that target GPH.

FWIW, I spent a silly amount of time trying to find the 'ideal' sump turnover rate, and came to find it's really arbitrary and ranged quite a bit. The most consistent answer is 5x-10x tank turnover, but I'm not sure that is worth anything lol

Here are some links that helped me:

Pipe Flow Calculator (to measure how much GPH each of those pipes will deliver)

Durso Standpipe Rates

Explanation on Different Overflow Designs

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Having only a single 1" return on a tank that size is going to limit your return flow quite a bit. The level in the overflow without a secondary or emergency is either going to run full or very low and make a lot of noise. It is really set up for two returns and two Durso's. I would either do that or go with two full siphons and two secondary overflows with the return(s) going over the top of the tank. The second option would give you much more overflow capacity.
 
I love your approach on the return pump...

It sounds to me like the next step is to see if you can figure out what the sump/socks can handle. That will give you a maximum target range to shoot for.

I just went through a similar thing when moving & rebuilding my 280g. In my case, the rollermats were the bottleneck (2500gph) and then I designed the overflows/returns around that target GPH.

FWIW, I spent a silly amount of time trying to find the 'ideal' sump turnover rate, and came to find it's really arbitrary and ranged quite a bit. The most consistent answer is 5x-10x tank turnover, but I'm not sure that is worth anything lol

Here are some links that helped me:

Pipe Flow Calculator (to measure how much GPH each of those pipes will deliver)

Durso Standpipe Rates

Explanation on Different Overflow Designs

Good luck!
Thank you I will look into those links!
 
Having only a single 1" return on a tank that size is going to limit your return flow quite a bit. The level in the overflow without a secondary or emergency is either going to run full or very low and make a lot of noise. It is really set up for two returns and two Durso's. I would either do that or go with two full siphons and two secondary overflows with the return(s) going over the top of the tank. The second option would give you much more overflow capacity.
I agree with you, I guess I was trying to find an easier simply way out. But once I fill it than it’s there. I think I will pull it away from the wall a bit and do the proper way, 2 herbie and returns over the back. Might do 2 return pumps for redundancy and if 1 goes out another one is still working
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top