24K Gold Torch - how many different variants are out there

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2021
Messages
1,229
Reaction score
1,227
Location
94589
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,


I'm the market for a 24K Gold Torch. I bought one recently at RAP, but it looked much brighter in the vendor's tank than in mine. In my tank, it looks more orange than gold, and the blue tips are not as bright. I was told that I bought a Malaysian 24K. What I really wanted is more of a yellow/gold color with bright blue tips. Are these the Aussie or Indo variety? Can you guys post pics of your 24K and what kind they are, so I know what exactly to shop for?


TIA!
 
Hi all,


I'm the market for a 24K Gold Torch. I bought one recently at RAP, but it looked much brighter in the vendor's tank than in mine. In my tank, it looks more orange than gold, and the blue tips are not as bright. I was told that I bought a Malaysian 24K. What I really wanted is more of a yellow/gold color with bright blue tips. Are these the Aussie or Indo variety? Can you guys post pics of your 24K and what kind they are, so I know what exactly to shop for?


TIA!
Post pics of yours!
 
1st pic taken under a Kessil A360x. 70% intensity, 0% color.

2nd pic 70% intensity, 10% color.

The pics aren't really picking up the colors, but the tentacles are orange, tips are pale blue.
 

Attachments

  • 24k Malay Torch.jpg
    24k Malay Torch.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 986
  • 24k Malay Torch - 10%.jpg
    24k Malay Torch - 10%.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 828
This is more of what I'm looking for.

It's a WYSIWYG pic of an Indo 24K. Wondering if the yellow is truly yellow, or is that just how the camera renders it.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 2.40.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 2.40.04 PM.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,243
This is more of what I'm looking for.

It's a WYSIWYG pic of an Indo 24K. Wondering if the yellow is truly yellow, or is that just how the camera renders it.
I'd love to know this too. I think part of the problem is that most people do not keep their tanks a blue as the one you saw it in at RAP.

You saw it with your own eyes, so the color was "real" but unless you keep it under the exact same lighting conditions and look at it from above, it won't ever look the way it did in the vendor's tank.

Now, the real question is "do any of them look that good under normal lighting conditions?"

If you're looking for a yellow coral that is THAT yellow, I suggest a rrc goldenrod anacropora. It's a coral you can see from across the room.
 
I'd love to know this too. I think part of the problem is that most people do not keep their tanks a blue as the one you saw it in at RAP.

You saw it with your own eyes, so the color was "real" but unless you keep it under the exact same lighting conditions and look at it from above, it won't ever look the way it did in the vendor's tank.

Now, the real question is "do any of them look that good under normal lighting conditions?"

If you're looking for a yellow coral that is THAT yellow, I suggest a rrc goldenrod anacropora. It's a coral you can see from across the room.

No, looking for yellow torches only. The 24K and the banana are what I have my eyes on.
 
This is more of what I'm looking for.

It's a WYSIWYG pic of an Indo 24K. Wondering if the yellow is truly yellow, or is that just how the camera renders it.
I’ve never seen factory produced cyan colored egg crate.

that coral will look nothing like that in person imo
 
No, looking for yellow torches only. The 24K and the banana are what I have my eyes on.
Well, I'm curious to know how often they stay banana yellow under "normal" lighting (e.g. ab+).

Maybe someone can chime in if they have one. They look stunning from the photos.
 
I just got this FCA 24K holy grail. It is exactly what you are looking for in blue lights but not so much in daylights.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220820_022325695.jpg
    PXL_20220820_022325695.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • PXL_20220819_223254395.jpg
    PXL_20220819_223254395.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,062
I just got this FCA 24K holy grail. It is exactly what you are looking for in blue lights but not so much in daylights.
Beautiful coral. Does it need heavy blue for large portions of the day to maintain that coloration? Or is it enough to go blue just before bed to see some fireworks?
 
1stclass aquarium...

Can't say enough good stuff about Ron the owner.

Here's some of his stuff.

there are so many variations, just buy what you like.
20220821_110107.jpg
 
This is more of what I'm looking for.

It's a WYSIWYG pic of an Indo 24K. Wondering if the yellow is truly yellow, or is that just how the camera renders it.
I have a hell fire under high light and its gold when the blue comes on comes close to this brightness, although this pic probably has saturation pumped up. Mine's not as bright under the white part of my photoperiod, but still pretty gold. I've never seen an aussie gold in person, but its possible to get something like this color in real life.
 
I checked out my 24k torch and it looks like your picture. I happened to take a good look while under more blues and it's spot on. It's indo 24k. When the lights are more white it has different look
 
I’m really curious if these things color up or they’re actual variant's. I have an ultra 24k an ultra Knicks and a standard Knicks. All look identical besides the brilliance of the gold on them. And no green mouth on the ultra 24k. I can say the ultra 24k looks wicked and bright compared to Knicks and my ultra Knicks. But they look identical overall if that makes sense lol.. I’ve only had them a couple weeks so I’m curious if the regular Knicks will brighten up comparable to the ultra or 24k… guess time will tell.. this is my 24k ultra
6C1BF478-E29B-4828-B2DC-3BAB56D2E4D4.jpeg
7DCE4DAD-0B1A-434F-92BC-AE2756F0102A.jpeg
68D33FEB-D5D5-487F-AF75-854448B20AC5.jpeg
7DCE4DAD-0B1A-434F-92BC-AE2756F0102A.jpeg
 
I’m really curious if these things color up or they’re actual variant's. I have an ultra 24k an ultra Knicks and a standard Knicks. All look identical besides the brilliance of the gold on them. And no green mouth on the ultra 24k. I can say the ultra 24k looks wicked and bright compared to Knicks and my ultra Knicks. But they look identical overall if that makes sense lol.. I’ve only had them a couple weeks so I’m curious if the regular Knicks will brighten up comparable to the ultra or 24k… guess time will tell.. this is my 24k ultra
6C1BF478-E29B-4828-B2DC-3BAB56D2E4D4.jpeg
7DCE4DAD-0B1A-434F-92BC-AE2756F0102A.jpeg
68D33FEB-D5D5-487F-AF75-854448B20AC5.jpeg
7DCE4DAD-0B1A-434F-92BC-AE2756F0102A.jpeg
my guess is that most retailers don't have a basis for comparison when it comes to the in-person color saturation of each coral so calling something "Ultra" is just a way to squeeze another hundred out of the customer.
 
Coloring up is a huge part of the name game.

Silly as it is....it takes months of specific nutrient and par to bring out certain colors. Each vendor has their own combination of these.

As for the amount of actual strains....who really knows.

The asd HG torch strain has taken on so many different names from the different vendors/hobbiest that have grown them that its hard to follow....I have about 10 asd variations from different vendors and to me I see a difference in quite a few of them but not all 10. Over time they have changed in my tank as well.

Once they change just enough to notice a difference you can put a name on it.

More yellow...different name....green mouth different name. Etc....

The really hard part is when hobbiest try to keep those colors in our own tanks.

They dull and are not as vibrant most of the time as we as hobbiest don't jeep the same tanks as vendors.

So we go searching for that combination of perfect nutrient and par to try and recreate those colors.
 
Coloring up is a huge part of the name game.

Silly as it is....it takes months of specific nutrient and par to bring out certain colors. Each vendor has their own combination of these.

As for the amount of actual strains....who really knows.

The asd HG torch strain has taken on so many different names from the different vendors/hobbiest that have grown them that its hard to follow....I have about 10 asd variations from different vendors and to me I see a difference in quite a few of them but not all 10. Over time they have changed in my tank as well.

Once they change just enough to notice a difference you can put a name on it.

More yellow...different name....green mouth different name. Etc....

The really hard part is when hobbiest try to keep those colors in our own tanks.

They dull and are not as vibrant most of the time as we as hobbiest don't jeep the same tanks as vendors.

So we go searching for that combination of perfect nutrient and par to try and recreate those colors.
Great info Merk.

Dropping some info from a previous conversation of ours as I think people will find it interesting.

To pull out that high gold color, PAR need is way higher than most of us keep torches in. 350-450 was the range if I remember correctly?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top