250 Radium & M80 HQI ballast & SPS

Stpatrick

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2011
Messages
979
Reaction score
154
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone. I need some advice. I am starting a new 60 gallon Solan XL build and I am thinking about going back to MH from LEDS. I always heard good things about the Radium bulbs. I understand they need a pulse start ballast and I am leaning toward a M80 HQI ballast. There just aren't that many out there anymore.

I found this one and was hopping to get some input from the people in the know. I found the Aqua Medic Reeflex Cube HQI Magnetic Ballast - 250W for $79 on MD. Seems to overdrive the bulb to manufacture specs. I also found the Lumatek adjustable 250 & HQI.

Should I be looking at other bulb & ballast combos or is the radium still the ticket?

Thank you in advance everyone.
 
Nobody wants to chime in? I found a blue wave m80 ballast. They are not cheap. 165. Would the reef flex cube be just as good? It is only 60 dollars.
 
I believe that the blue wave will give you excellent color.
A lumatek ballast will give you great color also, and will give you a longer lifespan on the bulb.
I haven't heard anything about the aquamedic ballasts. They may not be popular for good reason.

Hope that helped.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
 
I run the reeflex cudes and radiums. The only thing I don't like about them is the fans do make some noise. If I changed ballasts I would go with the lumatech select a watt ballasts.
 
I heard somewhere else the fan was noisy. The lumatech is a e-balast correct? Will that over drive the radium bulb enough?
 
Lumatech is a e ballast. No it won't drive it to spec but will drive it closer than other e ballasts. I think its like 270-280 watts to the bulb. The reeflex isn't loud but you can hear them running within 10' of tank. I have checked par on a guys tank running lumatech and pheniux 250's and seen up to 500 par, I can find 500 par in my tank also.
 
Radiums on m-80s is one of the absolute best looks you can get. My all time favorite bulb ballast combo.

I have run radium 250's on pfo, hamilton, bluewave and reeflex m-80s. The reeflexes always seem burn them a little brighter and they look the best. Par is always higher on the RF's as well.

You cant go wrong with that combo. I am running a bunch of them. With lumenbrite reflectors you can easily get exceptional par too.
 
Radiums on m-80s is one of the absolute best looks you can get. My all time favorite bulb ballast combo.

I have run radium 250's on pfo, hamilton, bluewave and reeflex m-80s. The reeflexes always seem burn them a little brighter and they look the best. Par is always higher on the RF's as well.

You cant go wrong with that combo. I am running a bunch of them. With lumenbrite reflectors you can easily get exceptional par too.

Done! Thank you :)
 
I run (3) 250w Radiums on M80 ballasts with (4) VHO Actinics. Very happy with the growth and color.

I run the Hamilton M80 ballast and they do not have any fans and very little noise other than fan noise. If I would do it again I would look into the newer electronic ballast, as I am told they drive the bulbs similar to M80's.

HTH


IMG_1873_zps09c369be.jpg
 
I run (3) 250w Radiums on M80 ballasts with (4) VHO Actinics. Very happy with the growth and color.

I run the Hamilton M80 ballast and they do not have any fans and very little noise other than fan noise. If I would do it again I would look into the newer electronic ballast, as I am told they drive the bulbs similar to M80's.

HTH


IMG_1873_zps09c369be.jpg

That is one beautiful tank. I appreciate your input. Are you running reflectors as well?
 
I ran 2x 250 watt radiums on galaxy ballast and lumenarc mini reflectors on a 65g tank all sps and loved it !!!!! The new E- ballast are great no noise .. My tank was 24in deep and had no problem with color

scoly140.jpg


Sorry crappy phone pics
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top