250w mogul in a hqi reflector

Acroporaaddict

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Messages
760
Reaction score
438
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Elos planet 2 light fixture. I am currently running 2 Phoenix 14k 250w bulbs. I would like to run 2 250w radiums. Could I replace the hqi bulbs with moguls or would I have to buy new reflectors? I know I would have to cut the current reflectors. Just curious if the radiums would be too big?
 
I think the angles would be all wrong in the reflector since the arc tube would be up to a few inches lower than the DE bulb.

But even if the angles were right, I think you are correct in guessing the bulb won't fit – those look like tiny reflectors.

If it's any comfort, you are far from the first to lament the lack of DE Radiums in higher wattages. :)

I think Hamilton and Geiseman both make similar fixtures that will fit SE bulbs by design....but I know you didn't mention anything about changing fixtures. ;)
 
Yeah, a 250w radium de would be nice.

If I were to stick with hqi bulbs, which one is the closest in color to the radium?
 
Sadly the metal halide comparator is apparently gone since Sanjay isn't involved outside of Radions anymore....that'd be the place to check.

I also used the Hamilton 20K and it was pretty decent. XM 20K also. I didn't even mind the Coralife 20K.

Thing is the Radiums are almost unique in that they run at a higher than nominal wattage for the 150w and 250w models (off the top of my head 170w and 270w real usage)...as a result they're going to look different than anything that only runs at an actual 150w and 250w. The phosphors literally have a different glow at the lesser wattage....even the Radiums themselves look quite different if you run them on a ballast that limits them to an actual 150w or 250w.

I think I remember that Ushio's might also run hot like this, but I've never seen their 20K bulb.....people I know that were into Ushio always spec'd their 10K.

All that just to say you're probably only going to get so close to the look of a Radium, so don't get your hope up so high that you're totally disappointed by the alternatives. (If that's a risk.) The phoenix you were running was fairly close too, judging from commentary of others.
 
How's growth?

Not as fast as the Phoenix bulbs but the coloration is much better!

Phoenix 14k
TCK%2BField%2Bof%2BDreams.jpg


Hamilton 20k
TCK%2BField%2Bof%2BDreams.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top