3 biggest mistakes you've made in this hobby

After 30+ years only 3 come to mind, I'd say between 1986 and 1996. Using tap water back then and fighting algae because of it in fowlr tanks and buying a big beautiful Queen trigger that killed all my other fish in a couple days. The other was buying a used acrylic hex tank that split open after a couple weeks of being filled. My current tank going on a little over 3 years is my most successful, yet simple, with no automation, simple old school.
20190711_130032.jpg

20190711_130032.jpg
20190711_130020.jpg

Looks lovely!
 
1. Starting (it's like a drug)
2. Buying cheap equipment to save money
3. Thinking i know better than more experienced reef keepers
 
1. Buying a cheap light and a cheap protein skimmer
2. Buying a cube/tall style aquarium (pain to clean & pain to aquascape)
3. Telling people how much I spent on my tank
 
1.) Buying too quickly to get a "forest" instead of long term planning.
2.) Putting a frag in my system that I could tell wasn't OK.. (only one like it at lfs, partner likes it, etc etc). Still fighting that mistake.
3.) Not testing PAR
 
1.) cheaper out on equipment.

2.) ignored the start of pest algae.

3.) never dipped
 
-buying expensive coral from the start and thinking ill make money fraggging them just look at it as a hobby.... dml
 
1) the Seaclone protein skimmer I bought back in 1998. Only took about a week for it to overflow the skimmer cup and leak through the floor. To this day I refuse to buy anything that hangs on the tank and isn't sealed.

2) letting that purple star polyp spread over all my rock circa 2004. Seemed like a great idea at the time, but to this day I still have to scrub it off to find places for new frags. Yes my tank is old [emoji3]

3) building a sump out of sheets of polycarbonate I got for free from work. Turns out that stuff isn't so good for full immersion in water, and a couple years later - pop! Now I only do sumps where at the very least the outside vessel is professionally manufacturered (e.g. start with a small Aquarium and add my own baffles), or just go with a full blown retail sump.
 
1) Not waiting and getting the exact tank I wanted the first time

2) Buying cheaper gear/powerheads etc the first time

3) Putting water in my tank

Wait, we were supposed to put water in? ;Happy
 
1. Not QT’ing fish
2. Buying a 4 bulb ATI fixture instead of 6 bulb
3. Not going with a 24” deep tank, 18” is ok but like the extra depth
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top