3 out of 9 Chromis DOA

Chromis actually ship really well. You should see the size of the bags they arrive from Indo/Phil’s in. But they all seem to have Uronema and are kept in overly crowded tanks at wholesalers. They are cheap fish and get treated as such so they don’t arrive to you in the best of shape.

the black axis chromis from Fiji on the other hand come in great and have a near 100% survival rate with hobbyists. They cost more but are worth it.
 
I would bet they have Uronema or a different parasite, a lot of Chromis and Damsels do these days.

They should definitely be quarantined. I've found Chromis to be more difficult to get clean lately, I bring many of them in and higher mortality can be an issue sometimes.
Damsels don't have many shipping loses but they do to this disease. Chromis imo are muh more difficult to care for and ship and truly are not fish to be kept by really early beginners although I got 5 at the one year mark.
 
I have 6 in my tank. They have been there for over 6 months with no issues.
They grow fast and my tangs keep them inline lol.
20200223_123708.jpg
After the first 30 days having tangs present and frequent feedings are all thats needed.
 
After the first 30 days having tangs present and frequent feedings are all thats needed.
My 2 tangs were the last 2 fish I added. Before the chromis would get aggresive towards each other. Tangs have only been in tank 3 weeks.
They are the policemen of my tank and break up the chromis. The convict swims around with them all the time.
Chromis are much more peaceful now.
 
I just bought 7 and have 5 left and I remember back in 2013 I got a few and they all died but thought I give another try and they seem to be doing same thing
 
Keep at it, feed them and see how it goes. I'll give it another try after my current fish come out of QT.
 
I just bought 7 and have 5 left and I remember back in 2013 I got a few and they all died but thought I give another try and they seem to be doing same thing
Add tangs or other boss fish and feed more.
 
I ordered 9 Chromis from LA, all bagged separately. 3 of 9 dead in bag.

Currently floating other bags in QT.

I have a couple other fish in QT currently doing well.

Do Chromis not ship well? I have never received a DOA fish from LA, only good experiences.

I find it odd that 3 of the same species are dead, wondering if I should not put the others in and risk the other fish already doing well in QT.

Thoughts?
Sorry this happened to you. My first order from LA was three blue chromis. Two died within first 24 hours. Third made it through 14 day QT. I’ve since heard that chromis don’t ship well

As a newbie I thought it was something I did. But luckily LA was good about credit and tried to help along the way
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top