30 inch deep heavy duty garage shelving unit

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2016
Messages
3,173
Reaction score
4,882
Location
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Can anyone help me to find a 72-84 inch in length and 30 inch deep heavy duty garage shelving unit ?
Am looking for one to keep my frag tank which is 72 inch x 30 inch x 12 inch high .

Not looking to build another wooden stand as it’s extremely cold in Minnesota and can’t spend time building one in my garage .

Regards,
Abhishek
 
That close to 900 pounds. Most garage units are 24" deep. Might want to look at a work bench instead of shelving unit.
 
@Abhishek Not sure if you have Menards up by you but they sell a steel heavy duty shelving pieces that are rated in the 1000s of pounds and up to 30” depth. Very versatile system and I am using in my basement. I tried to attach link to the system. Otherwise on Menard its “Xtreme Garage Heavy Duty Steel Shelving Unit”


Hi Mark ,

Thabk you so much for the link . Yes I do have menards but somehow I never found anything deeper than 24 inch there .

Is this the one you suggest :-

 
I forgot to mention that the tank is 3/4 inch acrylic .. so not as heavy as glass .

Also , is it possible to get a little larger shelf like 36 inch in deep and say 78 inch is length to rest a 72 inch x 30 inch tank ? Will it cause the acrylic to sag in the middle ?
 
Yeah it’s 77 inch wide x 30 inch deep x 72 inch high .

Wondering if I put a 72 inch x30 inch acrylic tank on it , will it cause the tank to sag ?

Do you want it that tall? And re: sag - not if you put heavy enough plywood under it, those shelves are not real sturdy for the weight you're looking at.
 
whatever you do seal the heck outta the shelf...wood absorbs water so seal that; if metal; use another coat of paint in addition to
 
When stand building the wight of the tank it self being glass vs acrylic really dosent make a dent in overall weight. Water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon those dimensions yield a 112 gallon (100 gal) tank. Completely full it will weight 934lbs. Obviously you want a stand that will hold more than this weight (I'd be looking for something on the 1500-2000 rating personally) to ensure your covered. A glass tank of this size will be about 200lbs empty where an acrylic will be about 50lb, not that this difference dosent matter at all but it's pretty minimal to the overall weight.
 
Do you want it that tall? And re: sag - not if you put heavy enough plywood under it, those shelves are not real sturdy for the weight you're looking at.

They come in that height for a 30 inch shelving unit . Not that am gonna use anything beyond 48 inch of height
 
Hi Mark ,

Thabk you so much for the link . Yes I do have menards but somehow I never found anything deeper than 24 inch there .

Is this the one you suggest :-

Yes. Keep in mind that the steel frames are capable of holding a lot of weight. But you still need to think about shelf material.
 
whatever you do seal the heck outta the shelf...wood absorbs water so seal that; if metal; use another coat of paint in addition to

Yup that will be done .

When stand building the wight of the tank it self being glass vs acrylic really dosent make a dent in overall weight. Water weighs 8.34lbs per gallon those dimensions yield a 112 gallon (100 gal) tank. Completely full it will weight 934lbs. Obviously you want a stand that will hold more than this weight (I'd be looking for something on the 1500-2000 rating personally) to ensure your covered. A glass tank of this size will be about 200lbs empty where an acrylic will be about 50lb, not that this difference dosent matter at all but it's pretty minimal to the overall weight.

Yeah am looking at only the ones that can support 2000 lbs per shelf .
 
Yes. Keep in mind that the steel frames are capable of holding a lot of weight. But you still need to think about shelf material.

When you say shelf material , what are you referring to ? Am planning to get 3/4 inch plywood to be put underneath the tank above the shelf to help support it
 
When you say shelf material , what are you referring to ? Am planning to get 3/4 inch plywood to be put underneath the tank above the shelf to help support it
That one you replied about has rather thin metal shelves. That's why I suggested a workbench style, they're heavy duty and you supply the wood for supporting shelf.
 
Hi Mark ,

Thabk you so much for the link . Yes I do have menards but somehow I never found anything deeper than 24 inch there .

Is this the one you suggest :-

I have used this in the past for 75 gallon tanks. Used a basement sealer white paint for the wood and never had any issues.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top