40g Breeader no sump. Skimmer or another small PH?

  • Thread starter Thread starter plc001
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

plc001

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2020
Messages
312
Reaction score
272
Location
Seminole
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,


I'm putting together a 40G B but want to keep the equipment at a minimum. Currently I have 2 Hydor Koralia Third Generation 1350.
I'm in the cycle process and I'm getting a film on top of the water.
I know if I put a HOB filter, it goes away, but do not really want to run one 100% of the time.

Was thinking of adding another PW pointed some one up to move the surface water, I can hide it behind the rocks.
But I’m guess also adding and skimmer (Comline doc skimmer 9004 DC) will work.

Note, I’ll be using 100% NSW and doing 10% wc every week.


What would you recommend?
 
Without a sump the film will always be present, but as long as you have the power heads pointing towards water surface, the film will move around. An internal overflow box for a sump will skim away the film. Otherwise you may always have some kind of film on the water surface.
 
Without a sump the film will always be present, but as long as you have the power heads pointing towards water surface, the film will move around. An internal overflow box for a sump will skim away the film. Otherwise you may always have some kind of film on the water surface.

Would the film be an issue with gas exchange?
 
Cool. That film is part of the process, once the tank is more stable, less film will be.
If you do fishless cycling, maybe you don't need to run skimmer also as long as you don't mind a little biofilm.
Equipment is better added once the tank needs it
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top