40g in-wall to 150g Upgrade

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
148
Reaction score
68
Location
Tomball
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I wasn't a part of R2R when I upgraded my tank from a 40gal cube to a 150gal so sorry I lack a lot of the progressive build pictures. When I was putting things together the last thing on my mind was taking pictures! Also, anyone in the Tomball area who propagates let me know!


Background: I've had a 90gal fish only tank since 2003. Lots of fish through the years and a bunch of casualties as a result of not QTing and frankly being green. Add the 40gal cube in an office wall I cut out in my prior house. Moved to Tomball in the new house 2007, which was a new build, so I purposely had them leave a hole where the 40gal cube would sit. The 90gal went upstairs. Got tired of traveling up and down the stairs to maintain the 90gal, so I ditched it. Got the reff itch so decided to plan an upgrade and attempt to do it right.


Prior tank: 40gal cube, overflow box to 10gal custom sump that I built, T5 lighting with a Reefbright strip. Live stock: Clown, purple dotty back, the green coral not sure what it is and at green plate coral, and some orange Zoas. I've had other coral in the past but nothing survived and I now know why (Torch, hammers, a couple of SPS frags).


New Tank: undrilled 150gal 48x24x31 tank from Glass Cages.com, the stand was all wood sitting on a Lowes's rack so I built it from scratch. The hole in the wall went from 24x24 to 48x31 so I had to cut studs, sheetrock and etc and re-sheetrock, texture and paint. The front of the tank is in a family room as you can tell but the back is a closet that under my second-floor staircase so I have nice "Fish Room". I spent months researching measuring and designing the new setup. Installation: Cutting the hole Sheetrocking and etc = easy. Stand build= easy as I used the template for Mr. Saltwater DIY youtube. Plumbing a bit of a nightmare because from the pics you'll see I ran the plumbing through some of the support beams in the stand. For the main plumbing, there was no leaks! I plumbed a line from my SW mixing tank to the tank that didn't have a plumbing leak, I didn't tighten a union and lost my original Gyre control! Expensive mistake! There was a lot of improvising and learning along the way. My APEX setup (Apex Controller System + FMM+Solenoid Valve+EB8 Energy Bar+Breakout Box+ PMK Par) has saved me from tragedy multiple times over so I'll swear by it. The cost was hard to digest up front and I wasn't completely sold but bought it anyway.


Fish Stock: Blonde Naso Tang, Yellow Tang, Clown, Two Azuzle Damsels, 3 Stripe Damsel, Purple Dotty Back, crabs snails

Coral: Green favia or Acan coral, not sure what it is, not sure the name of the orange zoas on the left; Green Star polops, Green Plate Coral, Rainbow Acan; Pink Gonis and a Wall Hammer;

I got bit by the Black Friday sale from Aqua SD bug and bought a bunch of frags! Currently QTing them until the first of the year.
 
Old Tank!
1. Old.png
2. Old.jpg
3. Old.jpg
 
Current setup what's not label.

The ATO fresh water 10gal tank, Salt Mixing 40gal tank (my old inwall cube), 10gal QT/Frag tank all have lines connecting directly to a 7 Stage RO/DI unit I have in an upstairs bathroom. It was fun figuring out how to run that relatively seamlessly. Drilled walls, ceilings and ran under carpet. The line to the skimmer actually runs outside, again with some creative Enganuity i.e. drilling walls, and running under baseboard trim, then under a wood floor transition. I noticed an immediate uptick in the PH so it was worth it. Not sure if there is a correlation to colder weather and a High PH but I'm monitoring closely now because I've seen some spikes. I do have CyberPower CP1500 UPS as an outage backup, the COR 20 is the only thing hooked up to it.
17.PNG
18.jpg
19.PNG
20.jpg
21.PNG
 
QT: 10gal QT/Eventually Frag tank. Amazon VIPARSPECTRA light with a custom built stand and etc. Tetra Whisper filter with a Jebao WP-10 Wavemaker with controller. I have a 20gal long in the attic that I use for Fish QT thus why the stand I build is a bit longer the 10gal currently sitting on it.
22.jpg
23.PNG
 
Lighting Schedule/Gyre Schedule:

Current Levels:
Temp:78-79
PH: 8.2-8.9
Salt: 34.8
ORP: 332
ALK: 9.1
CAL: 523
MAG: 1395
Nitrate: Undetectable
Phosphate: .36
24.PNG
25.PNG
 
The tank and system set up looks great and thanks for sharing all the pictures and detailed write up with us (we like pictures! Lol)

Welcome to R2R as well by the way, it’s great to have you with us!
 
QT: 10gal QT/Eventually Frag tank. Amazon VIPARSPECTRA light with a custom built stand and etc. Tetra Whisper filter with a Jebao WP-10 Wavemaker with controller. I have a 20gal long in the attic that I use for Fish QT thus why the stand I build is a bit longer the 10gal currently sitting on it.
22.jpg
23.PNG


wow, i love how you have photos and names for each coral. i wish i did that, now i have so many i dont have names of.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top