5 minute $4 frozen food feeder

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
897
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'd been wanting to get something to feed my frozen food to my fish, but some of the ones online where you drop a cube in and let it defrost are quite pricy so I decided to make my own.

Materials-
Plastic canvas- Already had but would've cost $1
Feeding ring- Already had $3
Sharpie
Bowl (to trace a circle)
Scissors
Iron
Lighter
Wax/Parchment paper

Cut a PacMan out of the plastic canvas.
IMG_1224.JPG

Put the iron on the hottest setting and tested to make sure plastic canvas would actually melt to itself.
TIP- don't hold it too long or it just melts into a sheet
IMG_1228.JPG

Curl the PacMan to a cone shape and iron.
TIP- the bigger PacMan's mouth is the taller and more narrow the cone and it will drop into the water further. Next time I'm giving PacMan a bigger mouth.
TIP- Make sure you wait for it to cool before pulling the paper off or you may have to iron it again.
IMG_1226.JPG

I had a little gap where it was sharp and I didn't want the fish to get cut so I took a lighter to it for a few seconds so there were no sharp edges.
IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG


Stuck it in the ring feeder and done!
I can remove it and rinse it out without messing around too much in the tank and my feeding ring remains for when I feed flakes and floating pellets.
IMG_1232.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1235.JPG


Thoughts for next time- This works for blood worms, I haven't tried it with anything more chunky, it probably won't work without modification. If I knew I was going to be feeding a lot of chunky foods I would probably take a hole punch and make some bigger holes everywhere I could BEFORE I iron it all around PacMan's mouth and throat area so it's at the bottom of the cone once it's fused, you won't be able to get a hole punch in there from the top of the cone.
 
Nice DIY!!:)
 
You could alway get some clear tubing and cut one side, the place the tubing around the top:)
 
You could alway get some clear tubing and cut one side, the place the tubing around the top:)
Oh that would be a nice finish, I've got a ton of airline tubing laying around maybe I'll take a look for that.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top