50 water changes later. My first year reefing, featuring the 40b.

Crazy big

IMG_7351.JPG
 
I had many of the same experiences as you. I also began this hobby while in college and broke. I started with a job filter and kept coral just as I do now with fancier equipment. After all you've said, I think one of my best investments thus far is my ATO. I really don't have much nice equipment, but I value the ATO to be very important to me. I feel like salinity swings are very hard on your coral more so than many other things. Looks great! Here is a pic of my first tank, and where I am today

IMG_4874.JPG


IMG_7357.JPG
Nice!
 
What kind of skimmer and how persistent is the skimmate?

Id say water changes are very important.

How much chaeto do you grow?
 
It's really weird because I never grew chaeto before, now it's taking off which means is doing its job. I run my skimmer 24/7 and it's over kill for my system. I have an aquamaxx co-s1 for 45 gallon total volume. My skimmer fills about have a cup per water change or per week. I usually wash the cup out wih old tank water every WC.
 
I think an ATO is important in having persistant skimmate because you don't have to adjust your skimmer often.
 
It's really weird because I never grew chaeto before, now it's taking off which means is doing its job. I run my skimmer 24/7 and it's over kill for my system. I have an aquamaxx co-s1 for 45 gallon total volume. My skimmer fills about have a cup per water change or per week. I usually wash the cup out wih old tank water every WC.

Not sure whst light you use for chaeto, but mine grew a lot with red/blue 3watt led spotlight fwiw
 
Is that a radion led? Do yiu got the red leds set low? I bet thats why your algae growth is low, coupled with good tank husbandry
 
I grow the chaeto with a $15 bulb from Home Depot. I have an AI prime. Yes I have my reds and green both set to max at 15 and start descending once they reach their peak.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top