55 Gallon drum for salt/RODI water

  • Thread starter Thread starter R_C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

R_C

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2016
Messages
435
Reaction score
444
Location
Ocoee, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance of getting 2 plastic 55g drums pretty cheap. They originally had laundry detergent in them. What would I have to do to make them safe to store my salt/RODI water in them besides rinsing them thoroughly ?
Thanks
 
I wouldn't use them unless they are "Food Grade". They will more than likely leach chemicals...
 
Food grade drums shouldn't be hard to find for cheap either....olives, olive oil and many other ingredients are imported in them. Did you look on Craigslist?
 
Freecycle?

Try expanding your search radius to other nearby towns.

Found these links:
http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/5672881931.html
http://orlando.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=55 barrel

If still none of those provide options, try calling around to some restaurants or better, restaurant supply places in your area...

I think I prefer olive barrel-style barrels that have the two-part ring and band lid (like a Ball jar) so maybe start with calling just some italian/mediterranean joints if you have too restaurants/supply houses to call all of them. :) (I think pickle barrels might be similar too.)

If you really can't find any locally....which I doubt in the extreme....then place a minimum order with these guys and sell the extras to cover the cost of the whole order. Makes your barrels free. Or just split shipping between them and add that to your asking price: http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Olive---Pickle-Barrels.html

They make good rain barrels too. :)
 
Thanks for the links. I have seen those but they are anywhere from 1h-2hrs from me.
 
A) Keep looking - a little patience may pay off.
B) Email with those folks...they may turn out to work near you or you near them, for example. Or meet up half way between. My experience is that the folks doing the listings are pretty motivated.
C) Restaurant Supply!

Don't give up!

:)
 
It's that 48$ a barrel? And y do I see a lot of brute trash barrels used for mixing and rock cycling? As I was lookn 4 1 as well
 
It's that 48$ a barrel? And y do I see a lot of brute trash barrels used for mixing and rock cycling? As I was lookn 4 1 as well

Which one are you talking about at $48?

Brute trash cans are easy to find at most big box hardware stores – that's the main reason I think people use them. Barrels are usually a bit more efficient space-wise, but not always.
 
Does anyone know how to tell if any used barrel/drum is food grade or not? I know that you take a risk when you buy used, but is there any way to verify besides just trusting the person selling it.
 
Get one that hasn't been cleaned yet....you might even get a discount and then there's no question what was in it.

I'm still trying to get the olive-brine smell out of my barrels!!! :D

Seems like these folks are selling from one source usually....most often is seems a food provider. The only time you might have a legit question IMO is buying from a wholesaler.
 
I got them and they were $6 each. I'm doing the some research on them. I read that if it has a number on them they are food grade. These have number 2 with an arrow and are PE-HD. If anyone knows please chime in.
 
I got them and they were $6 each. I'm doing the some research on them. I read that if it has a number on them they are food grade. These have number 2 with an arrow and are PE-HD. If anyone knows please chime in.

That's just the type of plastic it is....nothing to do with what was held in it, unfortunately.

At $6 each I'd guess they held detergent or something non-foodgrade, but that's purely a guess. They have no odor inside?

HDPE is the #1 type of plastic of most of these containers because it's strong and resistant to most chemicals...including food. :)
 
Get one that hasn't been cleaned yet....you might even get a discount and then there's no question what was in it.

I'm still trying to get the olive-brine smell out of my barrels!!! :D

Seems like these folks are selling from one source usually....most often is seems a food provider. The only time you might have a legit question IMO is buying from a wholesaler.
did you use it during the time it still smelled? How did you get it out?
 
I bought two from a drum recycling place, they were 12$ a pop and had cooking wine in them. They still had a lil cooking wine in the bottom, and a label stating what was in them. They needed cleaned a couple times, and they are fine. It is illegal for them to sell it without disclosing what was in it. I would not trust a used barrel that didn’t solely have a food product in it previously.
 
I bought two from a drum recycling place, they were 12$ a pop and had cooking wine in them. They still had a lil cooking wine in the bottom, and a label stating what was in them. They needed cleaned a couple times, and they are fine. It is illegal for them to sell it without disclosing what was in it. I would not trust a used barrel that didn’t solely have a food product in it previously.
It had vegetable oil in it.

I bought it from a local guy not a recycling plant. My question is, it still smells after a 3 day vinegar bath is that smell okay or will it be an issue?
 
Go to a hydroponic store. Most have new 55's for $25. Some of the hydro stores will have the brown olive/pickle drums too that are new. You can wrap then in heavy duty black plastic you get from the hydro store if they are for long term storage. The standard blue drums can still have light transfer if they are exposed to light.
 
Go to a hydroponic store. Most have new 55's for $25. Some of the hydro stores will have the brown olive/pickle drums too that are new. You can wrap then in heavy duty black plastic you get from the hydro store if they are for long term storage. The standard blue drums can still have light transfer if they are exposed to light.
I'm content with this barrel - I'm just curious to know if the smell will leech ? I ordered a TDS handheld so I can test on Tuesday but I think it's fine
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top