55gal fresh to reef on a budget

duper15597

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2016
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!, I am new to saltwater reef tanks. I have had freshwater tanks for years and I want to make the change. I have a 55gal not drilled tank at my house now. I am looking to do this on a budget to make sure I can do this. Can I use this tank with a HOB skimmer, Biowheel filter, T5 Lighting, Powerhead, liverock ,heater, sand and then fish and coral. But will these items be enough to start and "get my feet wet"? I know I need testing equipment and all of that. I am just trying to take my 55gal that is freshwater setup to a reef setup. Thanks for your help everyone.
 
Yes you can. That is exactly what I am doing. I have a basic 55g with HOB filter, HOB skimmer, live sand, dry rock, powerhead and t5 lights. Been going for 7 mos now and the only thing I really have had issues with are nitrates but have been able to keep them steady at 5 for the past 3 mos. Biggest thing is to keep the filter pads cleaned and change often.
 
Check out MarsAqua led lights on eBay for cheaper led lights
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top