6 months new to the mixed reef community

mexi757

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2020
Messages
268
Reaction score
143
Location
chesapeake
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,afternoon and evening
I came to this thread to help with some answers and hope y’all can help.
My set up equipment-
120 gal tank
Fluval FX5 canister ( media- puragan nitrate,carbon in a sock and a couple floss pads)
2000 HOB Octo protein skimmer
Two fluval dual adjust heaters
2 icecap 200k powerheads with WiFi control ( placed arms each end of the tank )
3 viparspectra 165w led lights ( current settings 10% white and 75% blues ) Total time on is 10 hours
Fish-
2 tangs one powder blue one yellow
2 clowns
Saddle valentini puffer
2 damsels
6 line
Snowflake eel
100-110 lbs of live rock

Corals all are frags-
6-7 different polyps and zoas
Branching hammer
3 Duncan’s
Two mushrooms
Farva
War coral
Trumpet
2 birds nest

Just started making my on salt with readsea coral pro this week. As well just started the red sea foundation, trace, algae and coral nutrition this past week. Doing 15% water changes a week until I reached compacity then will do 10% weekly water changes.
With all that being said trying to seek advice on what I should have in my canister along with my light settings. I’ve read and read and getting mixed thoughts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance
Will post pics once I get home from work with boy blues and whites
 
Thanks for joining! Can’t wait to see pictures! Some live rock rubble would be a good addition to the canister. Just make sure you clean her out often I’ve personally never ran a canister but have heard they can store nutrients.
 
+1 on the rubble rock or bio media like marine pure or like items. Also As said above make sure you clean the canister regularly. The foam and all will store waste. Just give them a rinse in old tank water when you do a water change.
 
Welcome to R2R!
R2R hello.gif
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
 
Thanks for the responses so far. I used pond matrix along with bio balls for a few months but nitrates were at 20-25. Local guy said to remove all media and just run it without anything. That I should have enough live rock in the tank to filter it out. So far nitrates have went down substantially now it’s reading about 5ppm
 
Also any suggestions on what I should have the power heads running?
Depends on your price range. Gyres are good options and push a lot of water. I ran the icecap 1k for a while with no issues. Currently have mp10s they are good as well. I tried the cheap power head way and I replaced them 3 times in a year which added up to more than my mp10s.
 
I have two icecap 1ks on WiFi control. I just don’t know what should be the minimum and maximum power range
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top