6 or 8 bulb t5 for my new build

Jackal799

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 4, 2021
Messages
53
Reaction score
48
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m gonna be setting up a new tank and I’m going with T5’s as the primary light source. Tank will be a sca 120 which is 24 inches front to back and 24 inches deep. I will run lumen bars for supplemental light/shimmer. Primarily SPS but I would like some lps on the bottom. Would a 6 bulb with 2 led bars be sufficient or should I get the 8 bulb with 1 led bar for added shimmer? Thanks
 
I'd go with the eight for maximum coverage and bulb options.
 
I'd go with the eight for maximum coverage and bulb options.
I was just a little worried that the 8 bulb might fry lps on the bottom but I suppose if it’s an issue I can just raise it up a bit. The other option I have is that I currently have a reefer breeders 32 and I could supplement it with a 48 inch t5 hybrid. Just don’t think I’d get the coverage of a full t5 system. Plus I could sell the reef breeders and it would pay for a good chunk of the t5 set up. Thanks for your reply!
 
I used to run two XM10k's and 4 T5's overdriven on an ice cap 660 ballast. I now run a 8 bulb Ati with two or3 on a 120 and I have zero issues. It is definitely not too much light.
 
I used to run two XM10k's and 4 T5's overdriven on an ice cap 660 ballast. I now run a 8 bulb Ati with two or3 on a 120 and I have zero issues. It is definitely not too much light.
Awesome thank you! Making my decision to lean towards the 8 bulb easier. I still plan on getting a reef breeders lumen bar for longer tank viewing time but I’m not gonna count on it for pumping out PAR.
 
I used to run two XM10k's and 4 T5's overdriven on an ice cap 660 ballast. I now run a 8 bulb Ati with two or3 on a 120 and I have zero issues. It is definitely not too much light.
I have an 8X ATI on my 90. It is 18" wide. That would leave room for your LEDs. It is powerful but you can lower the power if it's too much. More bulbs let you vary the mixture better.
 
I have an 8 bulb on a 16" deep tank 10" AWL and my lobos and acan don't mind at all.
 
I used to run two XM10k's and 4 T5's overdriven on an ice cap 660 ballast. I now run a 8 bulb Ati with two or3 on a 120 and I have zero issues. It is definitely not too much light.
Awesome thank you! Making my decision to lean towards the 8 bulb easier. I still plan on getting a reef breeders lumen bar for longer tank viewing time but I’m not gonna count on it for pumping out PAR
I have an 8 bulb on a 16" deep tank 10" AWL and my lobos and acan don't mind at all.
awesome. I’m currently using a reef breeders photon and while it’s a fantastic light, I love the spread+plug and play aspect of t5s. I figure adding one or two led strips will give me enough light for after hours viewing. I thought about adding on to my current reef breeders setup but the shading issues would likely force me to add on t5s anyway so I’ll just go all in with an 8 bulb. I appreciate everyone’s responses!
 
I'm late. You really can't go wrong.

Personally, I would just go with the 4 foot 6 bulb. That's plenty of power for SPS. The advantage for 8 would be more bulb combos, I guess.
 
I'm late. You really can't go wrong.

Personally, I would just go with the 4 foot 6 bulb. That's plenty of power for SPS. The advantage for 8 would be more bulb combos, I guess.
That’s what I was initially thinking especially since I will be supplementing with led bars.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top