65 gallon on second floor against non load bearing wall

0rangeFish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2016
Messages
21
Reaction score
6
Location
Montreal, QC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a second floor apartment floor hold a 65 gallon aquarium? It'll be against a non load bearing wall with a 20 gallon sump. Honestly it's spot is in the middle of the house. After all the tank, water, and rock/sand weight I'm looking at roughly 1100lbs across a 3 foot stand. It's perpendicular to the floor joist and about 6-12 inches from the main support beam of the house. My tank currently in that spot is 46 gallon with the 20 gallon sump (the top brace broke on it and needs replacing).

I was looking for a 50 gallon tank, but can't find one without tempered glass sides so I can't put an overflow in. :( And I'm not having a tank without a sump. Given the amount of times the power has gone off, I'm not using an over the top overflow. So it seems I have to go with the 20 gallon increase and unfortunately the 350lbs increase. I'm just worried about all that weight. All the posts about tanks on second floors seem to be against a load bearing wall, which I just don't have a spot for.

49898197_352237792038919_6553169544418951168_n.jpg
 
I wkuldnwo be to concerned. With the footprint ofbthe tank, the load is most likely sufficiently supported. A 65 isn't really that big of a tank
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top