7 Years In and I’m Going Backwards

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCas06
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

JCas06

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2017
Messages
83
Reaction score
14
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I got into the hobby 8 years ago now and over that time my success has gotten worse and worse.

I started in 2013 with a used 72 gallon bow front, Rubbermaid tub sump, and $200 aquatic life 4 bulb t5 light fixture running ATI bulbs. Two hydor corallia power heads. I had cheap API test kits, cheap salinity swing arm meter, got my saltwater from my local south Florida inlet, and my RO from my lfs. Had maybe a 3 inch sand bed and combination of live and base rock. I had a filter sock in the sump as my only filtration and had carbon in it. Hard to remember but I think I ran phosguard pellets as well. I would add ph buffer from time to time as I didn’t yet know it was not highly thought of. That tank grew coral like you would not believe and I had to scrape the glass weekly or the coraline algae would get too settled on the glass everywhere and be hard to scrape off. I worked right near the inlet at a resort and would fill 20 gallons of beautiful clear ocean water weekly or occasionally bi-weekly for water changes. I had around 6 fish most of the time, nothing large and would feed them every other day or so. I rarely if ever lost a coral and the rate of growth made the hobby very enjoyable. After a couple years I had large colonies of corals like pink panther birds nest, stylo, war coral, duncans, torch, and a gigantic montipora. I always had little critters in my filter socks and crawling on my glass.

Well a couple years went by and I moved back to my hometown in east central Florida. Everything survived and was going strong for a while But my access to quality, free ocean water was not nearly as good. I did change the sand bed to new. I started buying water which also meant driving 30 minutes to lfs so water changes became every 2-3 weeks. I would occasionally get water from the local inlet but it wasn’t as crystal clear as further south. I eventually purchased a RODI system and started making my own salt and fresh water but salt is expensive and it still wasn’t as easy as filling up a bucket of ocean water so my water changes stayed 2-3 weeks. Some corals started to decline like my war coral and eventually died. Others grew slower or stayed the same size. Coraline Algae growth on my glass was not really an issue anymore. I still had critters in filter socks.

Then one day I decided I wanted to upgrade. I got a custom 100 gallon tank, new stand, acrylic sump, 2 kessil ap700 LED lights (4 pucks total), a protein skimmer, Hydrometer, icecap gyre powerhead and eventually a two part dosing machine. I again changed the sand bed and I had better test kits from salifert and Red Sea but didn’t test a ton. My new LED’s blasted my corals even though I think I started them at 25%. I eventually went down to like 15% and that is where they stayed. So with all this new equipment and new energy I was very disappointed to see I was not having good results. Many frags I purchased would lose color and slowly die. Growth was slow on other corals including the ones I had since I started the hobby years ago. By accident my girlfriend killed most of my big colony survivors like the huge montipora, birds nest and stylo. They are now home decorations. I averaged 3-5 fish in the tank.

Fast forward another two years and we move back to South Florida again to the same town. Everything survives the move and I’m excited to use that beautiful clear ocean water again for changes. I have hair algae so I bought a GFO/carbon reactor. I don’t live or work as close so water changes are 30 gallons every two weeks. I still make my RODI. I buy frags and and some grow slow, some die, and all lose that beautiful color they had at purchase. I describe it as turning pastel, or light colored. My lights I have worked up to 45 - 50% but I still don’t get coralline growing on the glass or see the growth and health of the corals that I did when I first entered the hobby. Even my zoas dont spread. I never have critters in my filter socks or see specks crawling around on glass. I am currently at a better point than I have been in years but it’s nothing like I use to see. I really do not know what to do anymore to be honest.


Right now I have 6 fish. I just measured water parameters and it is as follows:
Salinity - 36 ppt Refractometer
PH - 8.2 Red Sea
Alk - 9.5. Red Sea
Cal - 440 Red Sea
Nitrate - 0 Red Sea
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 7 ppb Hanna Ultra low
My magnesium always, always has tested high and I haven’t tested in a while. I do get some clumping of sand from precipitation. I have hair algae which is slowly getting better but still a problem.

So, I have better equipment, more equipment, and can’t get the results I had just starting out. I suppose I could do a 30 gallon water change weekly instead of bi weekly but it’s not easy. Do I shut down the protein skimmer, shut down the 2 part, shut down the GFO reactor and go back to basics? I will try and post pictures of 72 gallon bow front and of my tank now.

B94B8171-5F3D-44B3-B609-005CA12687E6.jpeg
62278864-4B16-481C-90D0-634E84CF85D2.jpeg
F71E48D9-05C9-459D-9C79-CD04425945F7.jpeg
D37F8A56-8F0C-4E2E-AB69-050EA2B4C765.jpeg
67B72E9C-71C8-4342-8478-F944047A5CB3.jpeg
AACC834D-6302-4D7B-8D89-3CF966061B6F.jpeg
7D0575DC-445A-4795-A102-AEC9FD3C2443.jpeg


CAE8DA17-383B-4BE7-9ED4-109E6119E937.jpeg
8ADEB357-6940-430D-BD6C-682F8121D4A2.jpeg
88A15CB0-DF05-4CA9-820D-99522694BB64.jpeg
8A800C79-CB98-4B9C-B930-233C69F1B0BD.jpeg
34E3D057-2F24-4916-9122-64040D65A4E6.jpeg
807D1235-FBA0-4083-B842-1F4F09764054.jpeg

 
Last edited:
I would ditch the gfo and feed more heavily. Do you use any coral foods? Reef roids will boost nutrients pretty quickly
 
I would ditch the gfo and feed more heavily. Do you use any coral foods? Reef roids will boost nutrients pretty quickly
The GFO I have only been using for around 3 months. Before that I used nothing and with the bow front I used phosguard pellets. I had a lot of hair algae on all my rocks so I got the GFO reactor. For the past year I have been feeding my corals maybe once a week usually with mysis and fish food pellets then got some reef chili. Also Red Sea A and B coral nutrition. I stopped feeding the coral to get control of the hair algae but have continued with the coral nutrition every few days. I also started turning off my skimmer during the day.
 
Those corals are starving. Yikes.
My question is isn’t the hair algae proof of nutrients and the algae along with the gfo the reason for zero readings? I feed the fish every other day btw.
I have beaten the algae back quite a bit over the past three months but it’s still there. Hard to see but here are some pics.
05A91A9E-93D2-4C72-909C-69E124C8DE2E.jpeg
26B0CA8F-3B78-4D06-806E-EC4E6ED9D507.jpeg
CC67D8FC-B54F-4E48-81CC-0AC39390628A.jpeg
8BE03809-7ECD-4A9D-9E01-0260BC771304.jpeg
808AD205-D1E9-496C-96FD-FFBA19CDEEB8.jpeg
B3C92F9D-2704-4B5E-9EE4-0324F4342512.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Yes, your intuition is right. IME, when things are not going well it's best to take the system back to just the basics. Less complexity means it's easier to understand/concentrate on the issues that way.
 
Last edited:
Feel your frustration when you can’t put your finger on the problem. You were concerned with the hair algae, but what about your clean up crew? The reason I say this is bc I had a 3 month period with no fish and my coral struggled. I am up to 13 fish and feed heavily. I know I have hair algae, but I never see it bc my tangs and cleanup crew keep it mowed down. I know my nutrients are up, but my coral has started to grow very fast. I think if I didn’t have the tangs I would have a algae problem. But if I didn’t have the nutrients I would not have an algae problem AND my corals would still be struggling.
 
Your corals are starving, and your hair algae is sucking up what little nutrients are in the tank. That's part of why you have hair algae, because no other algae can compete with it. If you feed more heavily and make sure nutrients are readily available, various kinds of non-pest algae will do well and will compete with the hair algae for space. If you have multiple kinds of algae that are all getting enough nutrients, they fight each other, so that nothing can overgrow and take over. If most kinds of algae are starving, and only the hardiest ones can tolerate the low-nutrient conditions, those hardy ones (which are often opportunistic pests) get the upper hand.
Add more cleanup critters and maybe some manual removal, and once the hair algae is gone, it shouldn't really crop back up again.
You may have a hair algae surge when you increase nutrients, but don't worry about it. It's easy enough to deal with. Just keep it from overgrowing corals until you get the balance right. If it's not on your corals, it's largely an aesthetics thing. And, IMO, healthy corals surrounded by hair algae looks way better than unhealthy corals surrounded by anything.
 
You had great success with simplicity before, I would move closer to what you were doing before. I would do this slowly so you don't stress anything or even more.

Keep things simple, and you'll get back to the success you had.
 
Yes feed heavier and upgrade the clean up crew. What is your cuc btw?
I have an admittedly small clean up crew. Have been meaning to increase it dramatically. Currently it’s just 2 Halloween hermit crabs, 3 blue leg hermits, couple snails, a shrimp, 4 lettuce nudi’s. I did buy a kole tang 3 months ago. Will get more hermits and snails today.
 
Hello all. I got into the hobby 8 years ago now and over that time my success has gotten worse and worse.

I started in 2013 with a used 72 gallon bow front, Rubbermaid tub sump, and $200 aquatic life 4 bulb t5 light fixture running ATI bulbs. Two hydor corallia power heads. I had cheap API test kits, cheap salinity swing arm meter, got my saltwater from my local south Florida inlet, and my RO from my lfs. Had maybe a 3 inch sand bed and combination of live and base rock. I had a filter sock in the sump as my only filtration and had carbon in it. Hard to remember but I think I ran phosguard pellets as well. I would add ph buffer from time to time as I didn’t yet know it was not highly thought of. That tank grew coral like you would not believe and I had to scrape the glass weekly or the coraline algae would get too settled on the glass everywhere and be hard to scrape off. I worked right near the inlet at a resort and would fill 20 gallons of beautiful clear ocean water weekly or occasionally bi-weekly for water changes. I had around 6 fish most of the time, nothing large and would feed them every other day or so. I rarely if ever lost a coral and the rate of growth made the hobby very enjoyable. After a couple years I had large colonies of corals like pink panther birds nest, stylo, war coral, duncans, torch, and a gigantic montipora. I always had little critters in my filter socks and crawling on my glass.

Well a couple years went by and I moved back to my hometown in east central Florida. Everything survived and was going strong for a while But my access to quality, free ocean water was not nearly as good. I did change the sand bed to new. I started buying water which also meant driving 30 minutes to lfs so water changes became every 2-3 weeks. I would occasionally get water from the local inlet but it wasn’t as crystal clear as further south. I eventually purchased a RODI system and started making my own salt and fresh water but salt is expensive and it still wasn’t as easy as filling up a bucket of ocean water so my water changes stayed 2-3 weeks. Some corals started to decline like my war coral and eventually died. Others grew slower or stayed the same size. Coraline Algae growth on my glass was not really an issue anymore. I still had critters in filter socks.

Then one day I decided I wanted to upgrade. I got a custom 100 gallon tank, new stand, acrylic sump, 2 kessil ap700 LED lights (4 pucks total), a protein skimmer, Hydrometer, icecap gyre powerhead and eventually a two part dosing machine. I again changed the sand bed and I had better test kits from salifert and Red Sea but didn’t test a ton. My new LED’s blasted my corals even though I think I started them at 25%. I eventually went down to like 15% and that is where they stayed. So with all this new equipment and new energy I was very disappointed to see I was not having good results. Many frags I purchased would lose color and slowly die. Growth was slow on other corals including the ones I had since I started the hobby years ago. By accident my girlfriend killed most of my big colony survivors like the huge montipora, birds nest and stylo. They are now home decorations. I averaged 3-5 fish in the tank.

Fast forward another two years and we move back to South Florida again to the same town. Everything survives the move and I’m excited to use that beautiful clear ocean water again for changes. I have hair algae so I bought a GFO/carbon reactor. I don’t live or work as close so water changes are 30 gallons every two weeks. I still make my RODI. I buy frags and and some grow slow, some die, and all lose that beautiful color they had at purchase. I describe it as turning pastel, or light colored. My lights I have worked up to 45 - 50% but I still don’t get coralline growing on the glass or see the growth and health of the corals that I did when I first entered the hobby. Even my zoas dont spread. I never have critters in my filter socks or see specks crawling around on glass. I am currently at a better point than I have been in years but it’s nothing like I use to see. I really do not know what to do anymore to be honest.


Right now I have 6 fish. I just measured water parameters and it is as follows:
Salinity - 36 ppt Refractometer
PH - 8.2 Red Sea
Alk - 9.5. Red Sea
Cal - 440 Red Sea
Nitrate - 0 Red Sea
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 7 ppb Hanna Ultra low
My magnesium always, always has tested high and I haven’t tested in a while. I do get some clumping of sand from precipitation. I have hair algae which is slowly getting better but still a problem.

So, I have better equipment, more equipment, and can’t get the results I had just starting out. I suppose I could do a 30 gallon water change weekly instead of bi weekly but it’s not easy. Do I shut down the protein skimmer, shut down the 2 part, shut down the GFO reactor and go back to basics? I will try and post pictures of 72 gallon bow front and of my tank now.

B94B8171-5F3D-44B3-B609-005CA12687E6.jpeg
62278864-4B16-481C-90D0-634E84CF85D2.jpeg
F71E48D9-05C9-459D-9C79-CD04425945F7.jpeg
D37F8A56-8F0C-4E2E-AB69-050EA2B4C765.jpeg
67B72E9C-71C8-4342-8478-F944047A5CB3.jpeg
AACC834D-6302-4D7B-8D89-3CF966061B6F.jpeg
7D0575DC-445A-4795-A102-AEC9FD3C2443.jpeg


CAE8DA17-383B-4BE7-9ED4-109E6119E937.jpeg
8ADEB357-6940-430D-BD6C-682F8121D4A2.jpeg
88A15CB0-DF05-4CA9-820D-99522694BB64.jpeg
8A800C79-CB98-4B9C-B930-233C69F1B0BD.jpeg
34E3D057-2F24-4916-9122-64040D65A4E6.jpeg
807D1235-FBA0-4083-B842-1F4F09764054.jpeg

Go back to where you had success. Replicate it EXACTLY.

Then slowly add the newer stuff that you are using now back in and see what happens.

This happens in business all the time. An owner starts a business and then decides to open another business only this time he is going to "do it right". The new business fails.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top