75 gallon saltwater tank deaths

Thank you.

It seems I should remove the remaining fish and let this tank sit for 76 days. If I remove them to a qt tank, I have to buy one and “establish it.” (Cycle?). If that is so, what do I do with the fish in the meantime or do I use the water from the big tank.
My standard QT setup:

  • 10 or 20 gallon tank. Cover the back wall and two end walls. Can paint or wrap them to provide a "cave-like" atmosphere. It helps the fish relax more, lowers their stress.
  • Heater
  • HOB filter: in the filter you have a foam pad. Soak the pad in BioSpira for a few hours. Pour the liquid when done into the QT.
  • A foam bubble filter: Soak the foam pad same as above. You'll need a small air pump for this one.
  • A very small powerhead. Aim the powerhead up towards the surface of the tank so it's actively rippling the water's surface. This provides the greatest oxygen exchange for the water.
  • Ammonia Alert Badge from Seachem. Best to "view" the badge while shinning a light from behind it.
  • Can add a bit of sand to the bottom. The fish usually do better than a bare bottom tank.
  • A few big PVC fittings or plastic aquarium plants to help the fish relax.
  • no need for a light. The darker tank actually helps them to relax a bit more.
You can use this above setup for a QT for both fresh and saltwater. Just buy the correct Biospira. There are two types: one for saltwater and one for freshwater.
 
good morning i am back any changes asking location poss to recommend help for you???
if you wanted to do fresh water yes you can use what u have besides livestock,
we are here to help you either way
 
I am really sorry to hear that! I’d feel exactly the same if I were you. They’re like family indeed. If I had a Yellow Tang die after 6 years I’d feel like a total failure because I know that’s 1/5 or even less of their total lifespan.
 
Wow! I just came across this! I am so sorry Joy! You seem like a very caring and capable person. Don't give up just yet. I agree with the others suggestions. Take a step back, and take a deep breath. It isn't your fault at all. We have all been there at one time or another.

Another option would be to take the remaining fish back to your LFS, leave the tank fallow and start over. Learn as much as you can. So you can do most of it your self, if water changes are too difficult to do yourself pay a maintenance company for that, but do testing etc your self. Personally I have never used a maintenance company. I trust no one but myself with my tank....not even my husband....lol....than if I screw something up it is all on me.

Don't panic and don't beat yourself up. It will be ok. This hobby is incredibly rewarding, and on the flip side it can be incredibly frustrating at times too. The good outweighs the bad though. Good luck and please keep us posted!
 
Just want to add a little bit of possibility. I know someone this happened to. Turned out it was from an aerosol spray in the house that was getting in the tank. You could try an ICP Test to check the water
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top