75g or 90g or 120g???? Help! DIY stand??

AmatuerAuer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
349
Reaction score
50
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This thread was started to help me understand if the DIY stand I have built is sufficient for a 120gallon tank (48x24x24). The stand was built with a 75 gallon in mind adding some space for a ledge for items etc. The stand is 50"x24"x30" (LxWxH).

The stand was built using the CAD below, it is constructed using 2x4s with a 3/4" Marine plywood top. It may be hard to tell from the photo (which can easily be googled "75gallon DIY aquarium stand") but the posts are supported by x2 2x4s resting on the base which is 2x4s turned on their side.

I plan to add 2x4 center supports in the front and back as well to support the additional weight... I have been told that it is sufficent and when compared to Marineland tanks it would appear that way but hey...with the amount of time and $$$$ I am going to invest here it is better to know 100% so here I am... See below. Please disregard the 20g on top..it was from an old fresh tank that I am using to get some LR going..
stand.jpg
Stand finished.jpg
Stand build.jpg


And while I have your attention...I plan to put a 30gallon breeder underneath the tank as a sump. That sump would contain a Reef Octopus Skimmer (TBD size), a heater, a return pump and a fuge with a DSB. I think given the width of a breeder (18") it should have plenty of surface area for the fuge to have an effect. So long as the skimmer is sufficient size that should work as well.

I am going to light the tank with x2 Kessil A360W LEDs. They cover 24x24 so that should be fine and they have the intensity to light the bottom of the 24" deep tank.

Thank you in advance for your help and opinion!!
 
IMO, that stand is more than capable of holding the weight of the tank you're planning to place on it.
 
I have built a couple of these stands and they are waaaayyyy over built. You will not have a problem with this design, especially with 3/4 skin. No center brace is needed.
 
Take a look at my build. 2x6 for the top frame, 3/4" oak board for the 'lid'. 2x6 legs in front and back and 2x4 legs for the side with a 2x4 bottom frame.

Side walls are also 3/4" oak. Front will be lighter maybe 1/4" so easy to remove.

I am going to include a rear center brace for the 2x6. I also have several metal braces.

Do I need a center brace for the front??

Will this support a 120gallon tank when full of sand rock & water??



ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427467172.154419.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427467190.130028.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427467204.806496.jpg
 
I should mention - this stand is new and not the original one built. This stand is 37" tall so I gave myself another 8"+ of overhead for the sump
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top