75G Reef - no skimmer, dosing, wc! Not necessary here

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 16, 2023
Messages
10,181
Reaction score
16,462
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tank is 75g drilled with a Trigger System sump. Primary filtration is Santa Monica algae turf scrubber. Rock was in one tank of mine for 6 years then pulled to build this tank 10 years ago. Went through several iterations of reefs in this particular tank but this is my favorite. 2+ years no water changes, no chasing numbers, minimal testing. It’s just thrives and needs nothing more than glass cleaning, emptying the scrubber once or twice a month, replacing chemi pure every few months, and weekly fw top offs with some All For Reef added in

Lighting is reef breeders photon 48 v2
Flow is a dc return, mp10 and a mp40

Trigger systems ruby 30 Sump houses heater, 3” sand, scrubber, chemi pure and lots of live rock. Possibly a gorilla crab haha. Nitrates are undetectable, phosphates are .05

Only fish are 3 cardinal fish and a purple fire fish.
Mexican turbos are the primary snail, few bumble bees and nassarius. And a fighting conch

Been in the reef game for 23 years, used to keep SPS mixed reef in this tank but due to life changes and less time, I had to adapt to stay in the hobby. this is where I’m at now and I am thrilled with this setup! I grew all this out from small frags

Any questions - I’m ready to answer

37461CBA-3DD0-4220-B1CB-307376BCE78A.jpeg 07409808-8C27-43A6-8285-910FBA950A17.jpeg 2FCE586F-DD8D-422F-ACB9-872B3F57B8C3.jpeg E42C8782-E723-437D-B8C7-2F6B4CA19C37.jpeg 6BBFB244-4BAE-4697-8374-B4C38F52F405.jpeg 9593A1E7-AF5B-4CBA-9291-5BD3430B532F.jpeg 72784F0F-9DE1-4F69-82CE-D15B1DA67806.jpeg 05BFE83B-8A0B-4E21-A7A7-F7D51C4DAD0A.jpeg E93324A4-86B4-4D49-99D4-88BF60C9FEC6.jpeg 31B6E636-58E2-4533-800A-8FB80A3BC6C3.png 57B9BCF7-C21E-416A-8E8E-30FD979E10A2.png C8D954EF-7CE3-40F0-90BA-BDEBF38C89AF.jpeg 168B8124-ADD7-475E-BE76-05BE690CF0B4.jpeg 3A89CEAA-235F-4117-842A-0FF8DDCB514B.jpeg 1AD2AFE5-724E-4357-AE45-2111FD7E3934.jpeg 8D45AAB7-0F38-4EC7-9C48-507CB9E32BFF.jpeg C93FAA84-AFD0-46A2-90E6-F7164D250720.jpeg
 
Last edited:
put in the temp frag shelf because…I have some corals coming over the next week that I really think will be unique and vibrant. Anyone of them has the potential to become the showpiece of the tank
 

Attachments

  • F6578E87-119B-4F41-AB98-14AA86416B43.jpeg
    F6578E87-119B-4F41-AB98-14AA86416B43.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 50
Great tank! A good example of a low maintenance system.

I also dont buy into the gear hype but do enjoy a (NSW) water change
 
Thank you! I have bought into the gear hype and definitely see the need for things to be done differently in other situations, I’ve grown out sps colonies from 1” nubs and had dosers and other gear that was crucial for success. But the whole point of this was to have more time for myself and less stress from my hobby.
 
Looks awesome! I am leaning towards either building or buying a turf scrubber. Seeing this definitely supports that idea.
I know there are plenty of options, but I can endorse what I run - this has been running for 10 years and I’ve only had minor issues. I had a early version that developed a leak in the led module in the first year - the company replaced it with the revised version at no charge.

I’ve had to replace air pumps probably 3 times. And most recently the power supply died after a storm, I got a replacement from the company for a minimal charge.

It’s a self enclosed model that floats in your sump or display. When my cabinet doors are shut its completely silent. I harvest and remove a handful or two every 2-3 weeks and throw it out

BFB7BD8D-A362-4907-9F03-68C70E29708E.jpeg E0193BF4-49F2-4483-B6F7-C641C18E238F.jpeg 090B0238-261C-4597-AEA2-BEC2E95F55F8.jpeg 959B3246-A5C3-4B2D-9389-029AB9C965DA.jpeg
 
a good tip to newer people - coral selection. I only buy coral that pops. I’ve been in this game a long time and learned it’s typically not worth buying something hoping it “colors up”. Sometimes it will. I get it. But typically people have bright colorful coral because they bought bright colorful healthy coral.

I try to select things based on the colors I need / desire. I look at tanks that inspire me and think how do I get like that? What makes this other tank look good? Then I see the corals or colors I’m missing, and go hunting for them. This tank needed yellow and orange as accents, so I went after them and found nice healthy frags and started growing them out.

That holy grail started as 1 head about 10 months ago, it was the most expensive coral I bought, but I viewed it as an investment in my tanks appearance and my happiness. And now it’s a 5 heads and dynamically changed the tank for the better.

My tank is limited real estate lol, I don’t have space to invest in boring or drab corals. If I take up a spot with something boring or repetitive, that could cost me down the line and keep me from having space for something awesome. There’s so much neon green coral. Don’t fill your tank with just green.

Find a reputable dealer, tell them what you want and let them find it for you
 
Last edited:
This tank is a work in progress. As time and budget allow, I will move things to other systems to make room for new things.

I needed yellow on the right, and just added the small banana torch a few weeks ago. Can’t wait for that to grow in!

Also, I have three corals ordered, two arrive tomorrow and one next week. Trust me they are all going to be STUNNERS! Each one is a color variance / combination I’ve rarely…or even never seen before
 
Tank is 75g drilled with a Trigger System sump. Primary filtration is Santa Monica algae turf scrubber. Rock was in one tank of mine for 6 years then pulled to build this tank 10 years ago. Went through several iterations of reefs in this particular tank but this is my favorite. 2+ years no water changes, no chasing numbers, minimal testing. It’s just thrives and needs nothing more than glass cleaning, emptying the scrubber once or twice a month, replacing chemi pure every few months, and weekly fw top offs with some All For Reef added in

Lighting is reef breeders photon 48 v2
Flow is a dc return, mp10 and a mp40

Trigger systems ruby 30 Sump houses heater, 3” sand, scrubber, chemi pure and lots of live rock. Possibly a gorilla crab haha. Nitrates are undetectable, phosphates are .05

Only fish are 3 cardinal fish and a purple fire fish.
Mexican turbos are the primary snail, few bumble bees and nassarius. And a fighting conch

Been in the reef game for 23 years, used to keep SPS mixed reef in this tank but due to life changes and less time, I had to adapt to stay in the hobby. this is where I’m at now and I am thrilled with this setup! I grew all this out from small frags

Any questions - I’m ready to answer

37461CBA-3DD0-4220-B1CB-307376BCE78A.jpeg 07409808-8C27-43A6-8285-910FBA950A17.jpeg 2FCE586F-DD8D-422F-ACB9-872B3F57B8C3.jpeg E42C8782-E723-437D-B8C7-2F6B4CA19C37.jpeg 6BBFB244-4BAE-4697-8374-B4C38F52F405.jpeg 9593A1E7-AF5B-4CBA-9291-5BD3430B532F.jpeg 72784F0F-9DE1-4F69-82CE-D15B1DA67806.jpeg 05BFE83B-8A0B-4E21-A7A7-F7D51C4DAD0A.jpeg E93324A4-86B4-4D49-99D4-88BF60C9FEC6.jpeg 31B6E636-58E2-4533-800A-8FB80A3BC6C3.png 57B9BCF7-C21E-416A-8E8E-30FD979E10A2.png C8D954EF-7CE3-40F0-90BA-BDEBF38C89AF.jpeg 168B8124-ADD7-475E-BE76-05BE690CF0B4.jpeg 3A89CEAA-235F-4117-842A-0FF8DDCB514B.jpeg 1AD2AFE5-724E-4357-AE45-2111FD7E3934.jpeg 8D45AAB7-0F38-4EC7-9C48-507CB9E32BFF.jpeg C93FAA84-AFD0-46A2-90E6-F7164D250720.jpeg
looks amazing
 
Tank is 75g drilled with a Trigger System sump. Primary filtration is Santa Monica algae turf scrubber. Rock was in one tank of mine for 6 years then pulled to build this tank 10 years ago. Went through several iterations of reefs in this particular tank but this is my favorite. 2+ years no water changes, no chasing numbers, minimal testing. It’s just thrives and needs nothing more than glass cleaning, emptying the scrubber once or twice a month, replacing chemi pure every few months, and weekly fw top offs with some All For Reef added in

Lighting is reef breeders photon 48 v2
Flow is a dc return, mp10 and a mp40

Trigger systems ruby 30 Sump houses heater, 3” sand, scrubber, chemi pure and lots of live rock. Possibly a gorilla crab haha. Nitrates are undetectable, phosphates are .05

Only fish are 3 cardinal fish and a purple fire fish.
Mexican turbos are the primary snail, few bumble bees and nassarius. And a fighting conch

Been in the reef game for 23 years, used to keep SPS mixed reef in this tank but due to life changes and less time, I had to adapt to stay in the hobby. this is where I’m at now and I am thrilled with this setup! I grew all this out from small frags

Any questions - I’m ready to answer

37461CBA-3DD0-4220-B1CB-307376BCE78A.jpeg 07409808-8C27-43A6-8285-910FBA950A17.jpeg 2FCE586F-DD8D-422F-ACB9-872B3F57B8C3.jpeg E42C8782-E723-437D-B8C7-2F6B4CA19C37.jpeg 6BBFB244-4BAE-4697-8374-B4C38F52F405.jpeg 9593A1E7-AF5B-4CBA-9291-5BD3430B532F.jpeg 72784F0F-9DE1-4F69-82CE-D15B1DA67806.jpeg 05BFE83B-8A0B-4E21-A7A7-F7D51C4DAD0A.jpeg E93324A4-86B4-4D49-99D4-88BF60C9FEC6.jpeg 31B6E636-58E2-4533-800A-8FB80A3BC6C3.png 57B9BCF7-C21E-416A-8E8E-30FD979E10A2.png C8D954EF-7CE3-40F0-90BA-BDEBF38C89AF.jpeg 168B8124-ADD7-475E-BE76-05BE690CF0B4.jpeg 3A89CEAA-235F-4117-842A-0FF8DDCB514B.jpeg 1AD2AFE5-724E-4357-AE45-2111FD7E3934.jpeg 8D45AAB7-0F38-4EC7-9C48-507CB9E32BFF.jpeg C93FAA84-AFD0-46A2-90E6-F7164D250720.jpeg
Some great looking coral!
 
Dragon soul favia, grown from one head frag

50+ head Palythoa grandis colony grown from a 5 head frag and a gold wall hammer colony. These don’t photograph great but are beautiful in person. The mint hammer above it is the branching variety, started as 2 heads and now is 15+

Yellow mouth Cynarina

War paint scoly

52D15285-A7F5-45FD-B4E6-478DE655A213.jpeg FFDE62F6-513C-432A-B17E-328EA63908D4.jpeg 3584DEAF-B15D-48CD-BB69-946CE3C902B0.jpeg 98E28A1C-ACBB-492C-BEA6-190EFDC72AEA.jpeg
 
Lakers scroll coral…that doesn’t scroll
Started as a tiny piece on a 1” frag plug

Running out of space here buddy! Don’t ya think it’s time to start scrolling and grow upwards ?!

A874C8F1-2E6A-40B1-9116-782FDB0F1289.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Scroll coral and dragon soul favia 12/2020
 

Attachments

  • BB720182-E5D2-4CC6-A432-4828F27FB2C1.png
    BB720182-E5D2-4CC6-A432-4828F27FB2C1.png
    793.7 KB · Views: 23
  • B3817AF8-B313-402F-8E5B-51F7DE55F98A.jpeg
    B3817AF8-B313-402F-8E5B-51F7DE55F98A.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 30
Excluding the photos from 2020
I am using an IPhone SE with a Reefing Art lens kit. I’m using the included orange filter. With the exception of the sandbed, it corrects the coral colors to match real life viewing
 
Excluding the photos from 2020
I am using an IPhone SE with a Reefing Art lens kit. I’m using the included orange filter. With the exception of the sandbed, it corrects the coral colors to match real life viewing
Well done, far superior to the pictures I take with my phone!
 
You need the filter if you don’t have one already. Game changer

Coral View Lens Professional Photography 10 in 1 Kit 2inch Large Reef Lenses https://a.co/d/dZHkWDd
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tank is 75g drilled with a Trigger System sump. Primary filtration is Santa Monica algae turf scrubber. Rock was in one tank of mine for 6 years then pulled to build this tank 10 years ago. Went through several iterations of reefs in this particular tank but this is my favorite. 2+ years no water changes, no chasing numbers, minimal testing. It’s just thrives and needs nothing more than glass cleaning, emptying the scrubber once or twice a month, replacing chemi pure every few months, and weekly fw top offs with some All For Reef added in

Lighting is reef breeders photon 48 v2
Flow is a dc return, mp10 and a mp40

Trigger systems ruby 30 Sump houses heater, 3” sand, scrubber, chemi pure and lots of live rock. Possibly a gorilla crab haha. Nitrates are undetectable, phosphates are .05

Only fish are 3 cardinal fish and a purple fire fish.
Mexican turbos are the primary snail, few bumble bees and nassarius. And a fighting conch

Been in the reef game for 23 years, used to keep SPS mixed reef in this tank but due to life changes and less time, I had to adapt to stay in the hobby. this is where I’m at now and I am thrilled with this setup! I grew all this out from small frags

Any questions - I’m ready to answer

37461CBA-3DD0-4220-B1CB-307376BCE78A.jpeg 07409808-8C27-43A6-8285-910FBA950A17.jpeg 2FCE586F-DD8D-422F-ACB9-872B3F57B8C3.jpeg E42C8782-E723-437D-B8C7-2F6B4CA19C37.jpeg 6BBFB244-4BAE-4697-8374-B4C38F52F405.jpeg 9593A1E7-AF5B-4CBA-9291-5BD3430B532F.jpeg 72784F0F-9DE1-4F69-82CE-D15B1DA67806.jpeg 05BFE83B-8A0B-4E21-A7A7-F7D51C4DAD0A.jpeg E93324A4-86B4-4D49-99D4-88BF60C9FEC6.jpeg 31B6E636-58E2-4533-800A-8FB80A3BC6C3.png 57B9BCF7-C21E-416A-8E8E-30FD979E10A2.png C8D954EF-7CE3-40F0-90BA-BDEBF38C89AF.jpeg 168B8124-ADD7-475E-BE76-05BE690CF0B4.jpeg 3A89CEAA-235F-4117-842A-0FF8DDCB514B.jpeg 1AD2AFE5-724E-4357-AE45-2111FD7E3934.jpeg 8D45AAB7-0F38-4EC7-9C48-507CB9E32BFF.jpeg C93FAA84-AFD0-46A2-90E6-F7164D250720.jpeg
Very nice tank - and it makes sense since you have such a low bio load and so many corals, it's likely that very little waste is produced. I am surprised, though, with the amount of stony corals you have that you don't have to replenish Ca/Alkalinity. It might be interesting to test them - with a nitrate and PO4.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top