80 F degrees O. K. for SPS tank?

CyberGuy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2011
Messages
422
Reaction score
254
Location
San Diego, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summer is upon us and I am installing a brand new 1/4 chiller to my 75 Gallon Sps dominant tank. I want to minimize usage of the chiller so I set the temp to be maintain at 80 degrees F. Is that OK? I know that people prefer 78 degrees but I hope that 80 degrees would be the upper end of normal
 
80 is OK, but I would not go much higher for long.

Fan over the top and fan in the sump can really keep the chiller barely running - just put them on light timers to come on before the hot part of the day starts. I am talking about Honeywell or Vornado fans and not some toys like even the high CFM computer fans.
 
Thats what i do with my chiller. My tank goes from 78-80.
 
I run chiller and fans. Just in case
 
I live in Thailand and have had to keep my tanks always between 80 and 82. My last tank was there for over 2 years sps grew fine and thrived. See my 90 gallon tank thread.
 
my tank run between 80 and 82 for years. ive never had a issue. You would be surprised how much a fan over the sump will lower your temps. Cheaper then a chiller
 
As long as you're not consistently in the upper 80's you're fine...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top