A fish died in quarantine. Should I medicate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tbg299
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Tbg299

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2021
Messages
391
Reaction score
175
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, the sleeper goby I have died in my QT. I removed it from the tank while it was in its final death throws and tried to revive it in a bucket with no success. It was 36 hours after being introduced to the tank. I have a Melenarus wrasse who appears to be healthy and is eating well. I'm wondering if I should dose PraziPro just to be safe though.
 
Just to confirm: you introduced the sleeper goby to your display tank, 36 hours later it started showing signs of... something? You moved it to a QT tank and then a bucket where it died. And the wrasse is the only other fish. That about accurate?
 
Upvote 0
Just to confirm: you introduced the sleeper goby to your display tank, 36 hours later it started showing signs of... something? You moved it to a QT tank and then a bucket where it died. And the wrasse is the only other fish. That about accurate?
No. Neither were in my display tank. I ordered them online and were acclimated and put directly into quarantine. So roughly 36 hours after delivery.
 
Upvote 0
So new fish arrived and you placed into your QT aquarium... Your sleeper goby was acting wierd/ death throwing?? so you removed from QT into bucket to revive.... , How did you try to revive in the bucket
 
Upvote 0
So new fish arrived and you placed into your QT aquarium... Your sleeper goby was acting wierd/ death throwing?? so you removed from QT into bucket to revive.... , How did you try to revive in the bucket
He had already stopped breathing for several minutes and was laying upside down.... his heart was still beating even though he wasn't breathing so I tried to revive him in a bucket with some fresh heated saltwater with a little clove oil and an airstone even though I knew it was a slim chance.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry for your loss .

we will need a little more information .
how did you acclimate ?
What are you medicating for ?
Floating temperature acclimation in closed bags followed by drip acclimation for 40 minutes
 
Upvote 0
Sorry for your loss .

we will need a little more information .
how did you acclimate ?
What are you medicating for ?
For flukes or tapeworm since I read wrasses are prone to them
 
Upvote 0
Salinity of the water in the bags was very low (1.015 SG). After 40 minutes of drip acclimation, salinity in bags reached 1.020 and I lowered the salinity in my QT to match this. Maybe it could have been osmotic shock, but then wouldn't the wrasse also have shown symptoms?
 
Upvote 0
This could kill them you know.
Only used like several drops in a 3 gallon bucket. I've had success reviving fish dying of shock using this method before. Like I said though he was already he had already stopped breathing for a while before I did this.
 
Upvote 0
Salinity of the water in the bags was very low (1.015 SG). After 40 minutes of drip acclimation, salinity in bags reached 1.020 and I lowered the salinity in my QT to match this. Maybe it could have been osmotic shock, but then wouldn't the wrasse also have shown symptoms?
Similar at 1.0175 2/3 fish recently for me just croaked with what looked like something causing nerve damage. The other one is as happy as can be. Wrasse though maybe more sensitive than goby. One would think salinity would effect him more. I can't say for sure if you were seeing the same things.
 
Upvote 0
Jw I have a sneaking suspicion they are getting fish from places using cyanide. Have had bad success from that facility, and similar symptoms.
what the heck?? That is very disturbing if true. I can't even imagine how cyanide would get into aquarium water. Spraying cyanide to exterminate pests? Contaminated water pipes? What led you to suspect this?
 
Upvote 0
No in some places its used to catch fish. I.E Indonesia where fish I got came from. Just had bad experiences from that facility more than once. Similar effects many times. Very high mortality rate. Cant say this for sure but really seems odd.
 
Upvote 0
Similar at 1.0175 2/3 fish recently for me just croaked with what looked like something causing nerve damage. The other one is as happy as can be. Wrasse though maybe more sensitive than goby. One would think salinity would effect him more. I can't say for sure if you were seeing the same things.
The goby also started twitching about a half hour before it died. It also started rapidly breathing about 2 hours prior. It was breathing absolutely fine before this. Most of my experience with fish are freshwater but I have rarely seen a fish go down this quickly.
 
Upvote 0
Also I should note if you have any fish disease questions throw it in that section of the forum. It will get good advice. @Jay Hemdal Can you think of any bacteria(maybe cyanobacteria), or toxin other than ammonia that could cause symptoms of nerve damage?
 
Upvote 0

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top