A frustrated day building sump. wasted glass

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
852
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am about to call it quits in building my own sump and buying one!! I ordered 12 x 48 1/4 glass sheet and cut first baffle ok. the rest.. lets say its all garbage!! anyone who says cutting 1/4 inch glass is easy when you have to cut less then 1/2 inch strip is easy is full of you know what... I priced just one baffle in 3 different local places and 11 5/8 by 11 cost me $54 bucks.. I need 5 more baffles.. online I found same baffle for $43 buck each. the same sheet of glass i bought for $75 bucks now costs me 3 times if they cut it...

suggestions? I am not doing the cutting my own glass ever again.. should i go with 3/4 thick acrylic? or get the trigger sump?
 
What !! $54 per baffle !!! your local glass guys are ripping you off. I got 3 baffles cut at 11 5/8 x 7.5 for $40 dollars total and that's the average I've seen people pay. The trick is you tell them they don't have to be perfect ie; they can use pieces that may be scrap to them because of an imperfection like a scratch or what not. Not sure where you're located but I used a company called ocean glass, which I think is a chain of stores.
 
What !! $54 per baffle !!! your local glass guys are ripping you off. I got 3 baffles cut at 11 5/8 x 7.5 for $40 dollars total and that's the average I've seen people pay. The trick is you tell them they don't have to be perfect ie; they can use pieces that may be scrap to them because of an imperfection like a scratch or what not. Not sure where you're located but I used a company called ocean glass, which I think is a chain of stores.
I am in NYC. I will look them up. I wonder if they ship. I would even pay shipping
 
NYC not to far. The one I used is in billerica,ma but the glass came out of their lowell,ma shop.
 
Wow that's insane. I bought 7 sheets of 1/4 various sizes for 58$. The edges sanded to help with getting cut on the glass.
 
Wow that's insane. I bought 7 sheets of 1/4 various sizes for 58$. The edges sanded to help with getting cut on the glass.
Yea...so if anyone near NYC let me know so I can get it at a reasonable price.
 
So after calling about 5-6 places I finally found a place that will charge me $50 plus tax on 5 pieces of 1/4 inch glass .. Wish I had done more reseach before I wasted money on a sheet of glass.
 
Thats way over priced. My glass guy is usually $40 for 5 baffles and often gives me freebies when I send people that need windshields to him and my glass is done in no more than 72hrs. On the other hand all the larger businesses/franchises said 3 weeks and wanted similar prices to what you stated. Try calling around local windshield repair places find a guy like mine....also paying in cash goes a long way. Note to self read whple thread before commenting. Glad you found a guy.
 
Just curious, why would you want to cut less than 1/2" strips of 1/4" glass? What tools were you using? Did you have a pair of cut-run pliers? Were you asking the local shops for polished edges?
 
Just curious, why would you want to cut less than 1/2" strips of 1/4" glass? What tools were you using? Did you have a pair of cut-run pliers? Were you asking the local shops for polished edges?
glass was 12 by 48, i needed 11 5/8 by 11 piece. I was using one those glass cutters they sell in home depot.
 
You need a pair of these. The tool you bought at Home Depot is only good for scribing the glass. These will finish the job.


Cut Running Pliers.jpg
 
You need a pair of these. The tool you bought at Home Depot is only good for scribing the glass. These will finish the job.


Cut Running Pliers.jpg
thought about it but i already damaged most of the glass trying to cut it. cheaper to get the glass baffles
 
And the horror continues. lol I was cutting my last baffle with a dremel and i burned out the dremel half way on my baffle. baffle was for me socks. so Now i have to get a new dremel
 
Man, you have had a time with this. For those reading that want to work with glass, it is easy - if you have the right tools.

Mark & score...

photo3_zps379f67a5.jpg


A gentle squeeze with the cut run pliers ...

photo4_zpsec26a469.jpg


Done. I think this was about a 24" cut done in seconds after scoring. A quick sanding of the edges to dull the sharp glass and you're done.
photo5_zpsb5a1613c.jpg


Sorry for the dirty workbench. I had just cut up some black eggcrate. :-)
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top