Acans not doing well (all other coral are thriving)

BiocubeGuy

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2022
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Location
Santa Barbara
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have had my bio cube 32 for about 4 months, and things are going really well. I have a variety of corals, but am really struggling to keep my acans alive :(. Here are my water parameters:

1650910345600.png


Any thoughts as to why my acans appear to never get swell up? The colors are still vibrant, and I have been trying to spot feed with reef roids. I have two clowns, two orange striped chromes, and two cleaner gobis, and one fire fish, some hermit crabs, a couple of turbo snails, and two tuxedo urchins.

Thanks for your help!
 
I wish I could help, but I somehow suck with acans (and blastos, micromussa...). Plus it doesn't help that my midnight dwarf angel considers them a delicacy.
0 phosphate and high nitrate. Just guessing.
 
I wish I could help, but I somehow suck with acans (and blastos, micromussa...). Plus it doesn't help that my midnight dwarf angel considers them a delicacy.
Thanks for the response! It is so weird when you see everything else thriving. I'm starting to wonder if something in my tank is feasting on them as well.
 
do you feed them?

I hear countless people talking about how feeding is essential for this corals well being, and i can confirm this.
Whenever i go prolonged periods without feeding my acans, they shrivel up
 
do you feed them?

I hear countless people talking about how feeding is essential for this corals well being, and i can confirm this.
Whenever i go prolonged periods without feeding my acans, they shrivel up
I have been spot feeding with reef roids and have seen no changes, unfortunately.
 
Hi! I have had my bio cube 32 for about 4 months, and things are going really well. I have a variety of corals, but am really struggling to keep my acans alive :(. Here are my water parameters:

1650910345600.png


Any thoughts as to why my acans appear to never get swell up? The colors are still vibrant, and I have been trying to spot feed with reef roids. I have two clowns, two orange striped chromes, and two cleaner gobis, and one fire fish, some hermit crabs, a couple of turbo snails, and two tuxedo urchins.

Thanks for your help!
0 phosphate could be the issue.
 
Mine always look better after a water change. I don’t do water changes too often so in my case I’m thinking a trace element gets low. If you do regular water changes then I would guess the no phosphate like others have said
 
Could also try feeding some bigger stuff to the acans, I mix up mysis, rods food and some algae cubes for the fish and feed that mixture to my acans and nems also, the acans can eat whole pieces of mysis. I have very low nutrients also so I'd say try some bigger food!
 
Mine always look better after a water change. I don’t do water changes too often so in my case I’m thinking a trace element gets low. If you do regular water changes then I would guess the no phosphate like others have said
Thanks for the tip!
 
Could also try feeding some bigger stuff to the acans, I mix up mysis, rods food and some algae cubes for the fish and feed that mixture to my acans and nems also, the acans can eat whole pieces of mysis. I have very low nutrients also so I'd say try some bigger food!
I will definitely try. Thanks!
 
I had an acan last week that was not doing well. Like shriveled up and sunked in. I thinned out the dead skeleton from underneath using a dremel and bone cutters. What I found out are worms. Not bristleworms or spaghetti worm. But looks like they were burrowing underneath within the skeleton of the acan. I can see a round cavern where they nestle in made tunnels around. Once I removed them, my acan started opening the next day and getting puffier by the day. It has not receeded since then. So check for pest if your suspecting it
 
I had an acan last week that was not doing well. Like shriveled up and sunked in. I thinned out the dead skeleton from underneath using a dremel and bone cutters. What I found out are worms. Not bristleworms or spaghetti worm. But looks like they were burrowing underneath within the skeleton of the acan. I can see a round cavern where they nestle in made tunnels around. Once I removed them, my acan started opening the next day and getting puffier by the day. It has not receeded since then. So check for pest if your suspecting it
Interesting. How did you get rid of the worms?
 
I had an acan last week that was not doing well. Like shriveled up and sunked in. I thinned out the dead skeleton from underneath using a dremel and bone cutters. What I found out are worms. Not bristleworms or spaghetti worm. But looks like they were burrowing underneath within the skeleton of the acan. I can see a round cavern where they nestle in made tunnels around. Once I removed them, my acan started opening the next day and getting puffier by the day. It has not receeded since then. So check for pest if your suspecting it
Thats wild!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top