Acclimating SPS to LED Lighting: What to do and when to do it?

How do you acclimate your SPS corals to LED lighting?

  • Slowly moving from the bottom to the top.

    Votes: 183 39.8%
  • I don't acclimate them I just add them to their final spot on the rockwork.

    Votes: 252 54.8%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

    Votes: 25 5.4%

  • Total voters
    460
Last bunch of corals, I slowly raised a rack from sandbed to desired height.
Since then, I have begun cycling a coral/invert QT tank, and plan on adjusting light in that tank over a month, and then placing in Display already acclimated. Will see how that goes. (Recently had ich, so QT for everything for me from now on)
 
All the research I've read on coral photobiology shows they adjust their protein production whenever the lighting conditions change. Since moving them is already stress full I not only try to match the intensity but to the best of my ability I also try to match the spectrum.
 
I start them off in low light and to bottom third of tank. After 3-4 weeks I bring them up Midway UNLESS they looking happy where they are
 
I'm kinda in between. I usually put new frags in my frag tank on a mag rack. I will start them off lower in the tank and move them up over a week or so. (Not very slow) Once they get higher up and are doing well I move them to a permanent rack in the frag tank, or place them in the display. I find that when the tank is doing well most frags don't seem to mind the amount of light regardless. I just feel if shipping was a little rough or my tank light is much stronger than where they came from, it's a good idea to not blast them right out of the bag.
 
I turn the intensity of my lights down and slowly crank it back up when I add anything new. I put everything where I plan on leaving it though. I don’t start on the sandbed, it goes straight to the top of the tank.
 
I place them where I want them to be long term so that they can become accustomed to the flow in their new home. One stressful thing at a time is plenty for them IMO. To get them acclimated to the lighting I put several small pieces of window screen material on top of my DIY screen top to create a shaded area for them. Over the next couple weeks I'll remove a piece every couple days.
 
I try to place the coral in its final spot within 2 weeks. Some can be within days of receiving to right at the top of my rocks. Right now, I'm out of room on the rock work so I have a dozen or so acros living on frag racks little more than half way up my glass. Looks bad but they're happy so I'm content.

All that said, I swapped my Kessil/T5 hybrid for a metal halide just last night. No acclimation. Just going for it.
You may need to adjust the MH photo period based on how your sps react. Polyp retraction, browning, bleaching are indicators.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top