Achilles tang Vs Hybrid Achilles

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2021
Messages
19,120
Reaction score
38,554
Location
United Kingdom (England)
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve been planning a final stock for a 6’ tank, I have always had a love for this fish but I recently came across the Hybrid Achilles (A. achilles x A. nigricans) and prefer that just a bit more, which one would be easier, I have yet to plan my dream full stock but it may end up being an indo dominated tank (It depends on if Hawaii will reopen). I have also been debating on a Tahitian dominated tank for it but I don’t know any fish other than C. flavicauda that comes from there.
True Achilles Tang:
157525B7-4DF5-4278-A815-213A1DCA5DB0.jpeg

Hybrid Achilles (Two separate specimens of this fish):
88E6CD38-326E-49AD-97ED-021B01B04FAF.jpeg
7C1156D3-43D8-4A99-8D54-17DDCD6039B4.jpeg

My favourite is the second hybrid but I think that’s been done with a bit of photo shop to get the red tinted dorsal fin
 
Do you have any other Acanthurus in there?
Both are incredibly aggressive fish.
Nope, I want an Achilles but don’t have the six foot tank they need and just wanted to plan the stock ahead of time. I doubt I would want another Acanthurus tang (If the Achilles gets out the picture the gold rim is also an option).
 
Achilles was always a dream fish for me and a favourite of the fish in my tank. 2nd hybrid is definitely nice and I would go for it, yet I'll still miss that teardrop of the achiles
 
Tangs aren’t my favorite, but would love to know what other fish you are planning for a 6’ or 7’ tank!
Probably a few wrasse, tilefish and for sure a foxface
 
Wow, hard choice. The teardrop is classic. But those other colors are beautiful. However if you suspect photo shopping, that is just plain wrong!
 
Their care, success, and known risks, are exactly the same. I collected both the Hybrid and the regular Achillies tang in Hawaii for 10 years. the ratio of regular Achillies in the ocean compared to the Hybrid is probably 10,000 to 1.
On that, I would do the hybrid in a second if you have the funds to pay the difference.
On a side note, Divers price on an Achillies tang was $9.00, the Hybrid was $15.00.....
So much care goes into these fish from ocean to LFS the end price we pay is more than fare and sometimes under priced what their real value is.
 
Last edited:
Agree that the colors are not realistic. Looks like heavy uv or blue lighting effects.
Those colors are very true, minimal if any color enhancing is going on here, I have a regular Achillies in my reef now. very true colors there.
 
Tangs aren’t my favorite, but would love to know what other fish you are planning for a 6’ or 7’ tank!
Yeah, I’m hoping a 7’ tank will be in the future but I feel like 6’ is more achievable
I think if I have the money I’ll end up with the hybrid Achilles but wait for the perfect one, I’m unsure if they’re only found in Hawaii or if they can be found in other places, I hate how there’s 7 powder tangs but only the goldrim, Achilles hybrid & achilles show appeal to me. My LFS has a beautiful 3” Achilles and it kills me having a 4’ tank and no plan of upgrading within the next year or two.
 
So, I’ve been planning a final stock for a 6’ tank, I have always had a love for this fish but I recently came across the Hybrid Achilles (A. achilles x A. nigricans) and prefer that just a bit more, which one would be easier, I have yet to plan my dream full stock but it may end up being an indo dominated tank (It depends on if Hawaii will reopen). I have also been debating on a Tahitian dominated tank for it but I don’t know any fish other than C. flavicauda that comes from there.
True Achilles Tang:
157525B7-4DF5-4278-A815-213A1DCA5DB0.jpeg

Hybrid Achilles (Two separate specimens of this fish):
88E6CD38-326E-49AD-97ED-021B01B04FAF.jpeg
7C1156D3-43D8-4A99-8D54-17DDCD6039B4.jpeg

My favourite is the second hybrid but I think that’s been done with a bit of photo shop to get the red tinted dorsal fin
On another note, do you know how the Hybrid comes about ?
A cross between a Gold Rim tang and the Achillies Tang
 

Attachments

  • goldrim_300x.jpg
    goldrim_300x.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 109
On another note, do you know how the Hybrid comes about ?
A cross between a Gold Rim tang and the Achillies Tang
I’ve never seen one in person but I have read about them staying rather beautiful except loose the famous teardrop that the true Achilles gets
 
I'll take the Achilles over the hybrid all day. My Achilles is my main star of my tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top