Activated carbon turns skimmer cup black?

daftwazzock

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
191
Reaction score
163
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I just using bad carbon or something? Should I be concerned about this? Tank water is crystal clear though

Using a Nyos Torq reactor with carbon in a bag and Nyos skimmer.
 
Did you rinse it fully, is it in high flow? Typically black residue means dust from either not rinsing or the carbon is being ground up from to much flow where it is placed.

Too much flow in the reactor then? I'll turn it down and see if the skimcup still turns black
 
Is it tumbling in the reactor? If so it’s probably ggetting ground up in there. You want the carbon secure and stationary, not tumbling.
 
When I run charcoal, I rinse it really thoroughly. Also it is tightly packed so it will not grind itself up in tumbling. I run the output into a small filter sick and the filtered water goes into my 7 inch filter sock. So water from the reactor is double filtered before it gets to the skimmer.
 
I had this issue because of tumbling in the reactor. I started running the output through a filter sock. And secured the carbon in the reactor with a couple sponges.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top