Adam G’s 288g Rimless Reef

Adam G

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2011
Messages
152
Reaction score
279
Location
Minnesota
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to get back into a big tank again. Got permission from my very understanding wife and once the green light was given I was off and running. After getting several different bids I decided to go through my LFS who uses Customaquariums.com. Let me see if I can attached the drawings....
 

Attachments

Not sure if that format is viewable but I managed to attach the file. I will describe the specifics:

Tank size- 96x24x28
Front glass- 3/4” ultra clear glass
Rear Glass- 3/4” regular clarity glass
Sides & Bottom - 5/8” glass

Top of the tank will be rimless and the bottom will have a small rim.

Overflows- going with 2 16” Synergy Obrflows
Returns- three 1” returns. Will use lock line and random flow generators.
 
Here is the wall where the tank will be going. I opened the wall to move some electrical and pull some wire from another circuit in the house. Will have two 15 amp circuits available now.
252BC676-DA2F-4E87-9747-307D18B2A999.jpeg


Here is the wall before I tore into it.

7E7C5FCA-C77C-4DAA-AA92-AAA64DF9418A.jpeg
 
And here are some progress pics of the tile install and light rail being assembled. Used 80/20 aluminum rail for the the light rail and wow is that stuff nice.
430F511E-8077-4F8D-A118-192C4EFDDEA9.jpeg
3041B63A-A0E4-42D9-AEEB-F6723F80793C.jpeg
 
Here is the sump that I ordered. Precision Marine has been awesome and they are installing four 1 1/2” bulk heads for the returns instead of the two 2”. This will make plumbing the 2 Synergy overflows cleaner and easier. Also having them build me a custom remote fuge and 20g ATO Reservoir as well as dosing containers.


https://www.precisionmarine.com/product/r48-pro-late-2018-release/

upload_2018-9-30_21-12-5.jpeg
 
Last edited:
CEA30A71-E2DD-4961-ABBC-27C4B81F9C0C.jpeg
Also am starting on some aquascaping. Using Marco Cement and CaribSea Life Rock. Have a couple of months so planning on building some cool structures that will be open and allow for lots of places to mount corals.
 
Cashed in all the brownie points eh? Can’t wait to see the progress build!

I think I not only cashed in all my brownie points that I had been banking but all future brownie points for life. It helps that we will be getting new furniture and blinds for the room though. My wife has been wanting to do a refresh of the downstairs living room for a while now.
 
So I have a lot of equipment from my current set up as well as from builds past. I am trying to incorporate some of the gear I already own and this is the plan at the moment:

Lighting:
2-48” Aquatic Life T-5 Hybrid fixtures (the new white ones)
4- AI Hydra 52’s in white

Return Pumps:
2- Varios-8 DC Controllable Pumps with 1” plumbing and manifold to feeed refugium, UV, and reactors.

Skimmer:
Regal 300int 12” Skimmer

Sump:
Precision Marine R48Pro
24x24x15 remote fuge
20g ATO to match
Dosing Resevoirs to match.

Flow:
4- MP40’s

Other:
25 watt UV sterilizer
 
33CD6996-6C26-418E-B4A9-6491C0C81BA4.jpeg
My cabinet builder just sent me this picture of the top panel of my stand. I decided to make the stand 30 inches front to back even though the tank is only 24 inches front to back. I figured since the tank will have to sit at least 4 inches away from the wall to accommodate my synergy overflow I might as well fill that space with more stand! I am looking forward to having a 30 inch deep stand So that I have more room for a larger sump and more equipment down there.

As you can see in the picture we decided to put openings behind the tank for the plumbing to run through as well as for ventilation. Stand will be painted white.

I am really excited to see that he was able to get going on it so quickly. I should have it by the end of the month and then I can get my sump put in and start plumbing before the tank even arrives.
 
Last edited:
More exciting things happening. My sump is on its way. Precision Marine got my sump, ATO container, and 3 part reservoir done and sent me pics of the box ready to be shipped. Should be here next week. The made some changes to one of their standard sumps pictured below and turned it around in a week. I am very impressed by these guys.
1E70B754-153B-45E8-8CA0-6BF51B462FBC.jpeg
05C323DA-D42C-48E6-805E-96371B7A2D3B.jpeg
FEEEE5EB-929D-4AFB-B30E-444C68D67D0B.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top