Adding a male blue star leopard wrasse with established female

  • Thread starter Thread starter tee89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

tee89

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2021
Messages
120
Reaction score
76
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R folks,

I have a female blue star leopard in my system and she's been in the system for several months now. I'm wondering if adding a male would be an issue, theres not much information out there and before I introduce a male wanted to get some input from the reefing community.

cheers,
 
Hi R2R folks,

I have a female blue star leopard in my system and she's been in the system for several months now. I'm wondering if adding a male would be an issue, theres not much information out there and before I introduce a male wanted to get some input from the reefing community.

cheers,
Adding a male may go wrong (Possibly due to different but similar species or possibly because your current one is transitioning), if you can get a photo of your leopard then that is much more helpful.
 
Adding a male may go wrong (Possibly due to different but similar species or possibly because your current one is transitioning), if you can get a photo of your leopard then that is much more helpful.
Posted a video clip hope it's working. Can't really get a clear picture.
 
Unfortunately I’m on iphone and video hates them. Are you able to upload it to YouTube and then onto here?
 
You can give it a shot, but in all honesty it's 50/50 on it working out. I recommend using an acclimation box if you decide to try.
 
You can give it a shot, but in all honesty it's 50/50 on it working out. I recommend using an acclimation box if you decide to try.
Appreciate your feedback. So by 50/50 you mean the aggression levels would be high? I do have a large acclimation box but honestly 50/50 are not the best odds, I rather not introduce the male, hate to see fish go at each other due to aggression.
 
Appreciate your feedback. So by 50/50 you mean the aggression levels would be high? I do have a large acclimation box but honestly 50/50 are not the best odds, I rather not introduce the male, hate to see fish go at each other due to aggression.
The other issue is, the male may not be a true bipartitus and may be the Indian Ocean half of Bipartitus - M. marisrubri. Macropharyngodon marisrubri is much more aggressive than bipartitus is and the male may cause an issue with the female.
Here’s a male bipartitus (top) and a male marisrurbi (female)
A6CD4E35-ACB8-42C7-A636-5320655078AA.jpeg

9AF567F5-7037-421E-BBEB-124860EF94CA.jpeg
 
Appreciate your feedback. So by 50/50 you mean the aggression levels would be high? I do have a large acclimation box but honestly 50/50 are not the best odds, I rather not introduce the male, hate to see fish go at each other due to aggression.
Since she's been established in the tank for a while she may not accept him, especially if she's beginning to transition and we just can't see it yet. I've seen female blue stars transition to male right after the addition of a male was added to the tank. It's better to add more females to an established female and let one transition to male than to try to add a male.
 
Since she's been established in the tank for a while she may not accept him, especially if she's beginning to transition and we just can't see it yet. I've seen female blue stars transition to male right after the addition of a male was added to the tank. It's better to add more females to an established female and let one transition to male than to try to add a male.
Thank you, this is helpful, I might go down the path of adding more female blue stars.
 
Thank you, this is helpful, I might go down the path of adding more female blue stars.
I think this is the best route as Atleast then you’re likely to have a harem/pair that accept each other.
 
Hi R2R folks,

I have a female blue star leopard in my system and she's been in the system for several months now. I'm wondering if adding a male would be an issue, theres not much information out there and before I introduce a male wanted to get some input from the reefing community.

cheers,
If youre going to try this, start with acclimation box and see how female responds to its presence. Often, may not go well
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top