Adding a second clown fish after one of my pair died

mbixler1537

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2020
Messages
85
Reaction score
29
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a biocube 32 and I had a pair of clowns for almost 2 years. Unfortunately, my smaller one ended up in the back section of the tank and I think it got injured. I was able to get him out and back into the main display but it was too late. I woke up the next morning to a dead fish. That leads me to my question....can I add a new clown to (hopefully) pair with the remaining clown I have? They have never been aggressive to anything in the tank. I have done some research and have seen some success but wanted to get some input. Thanks.
 
Well something made him desperate to escape the tank which is why he ended up in the back chamber. Fish typically don't show aggression when you are sitting in front of the tank but when no one is watching. Even though they were in the tank awhile something in the relationship changed. Adding a new clown may or may not work out. It is hard to predict behavior.
 
So, I have a biocube 32 and I had a pair of clowns for almost 2 years. Unfortunately, my smaller one ended up in the back section of the tank and I think it got injured. I was able to get him out and back into the main display but it was too late. I woke up the next morning to a dead fish. That leads me to my question....can I add a new clown to (hopefully) pair with the remaining clown I have? They have never been aggressive to anything in the tank. I have done some research and have seen some success but wanted to get some input. Thanks.
There may be a territorial war- its a gamble you’ll take
Acclimate well- acclimation box may be helpful
 
I did this very thing. It's working for me...but as others said...it's a gamble. Either way they're going to be some dispute as they try and figure out who's going to be the boss. They might sort it out without harming each other...or they might not.

Mine are currently in QT (20 Gallon) together...and they spend their time apart and I only really see some aggression during feeding time.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top