Adding LEDs to Giesemann Matrixx II T5

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 28, 2015
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
1,712
Location
Houston, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a tank size of 72 (L) x 30 (D) x 22 (H)

planning for the Giesemann Matrixx II T5 fixture.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/60-matrixx-ii-8x80w-t5-giesemann.html

Which LEDs would you recommend adding that would mount alongside it - and not be an eye sore.
The main reason for getting the giesemann over ATI would be the aesthetics... i love how it looks.

I wanted to add some LEDs for the pop and trying to figure out which LEDs and how to mount them.
anyone has these T5s? any recommendation? any ideas?
 
Most people add Reef Brites along the length of the fixture... they are an amazing product. While most think they look great along a fixture, I'm a little more picky. The Reef Brite fixtures are a little bulky in my opinion... especially alongside a Giesemann Matrixx. BioTek makes an LED T5 bulb that would simply just drop into one or more of your T5 locations. HOWEVER, they do not work properly on the Giesemann ballasts... I have owned a couple myself and they burnt out after a couple of months. So unfortunately that is currently not an option. BioTek is working on a solution to fix this though. Then you have the Euroquatics E5 bulbs. They are also LED T5 bulbs, but the cases are diffused, so they don't really look any different than a standard T5 bulb. Euroquatics then announced that they would be releasing the E5X, which has a non-diffused case and would be exactly what both of us are looking for. But I have not heard of any updates on this. And I'm curious if the Euroquatics' bulbs would even work with the Giesemann fixtures. ere's an article on the E5X:

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/11/21/euroquatics-e5x-led-lamps-will-be-25-brighter/#

Edit: Actually, they just announced this a week ago on their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/euroquatics/posts/1341947145912057
 
Thanks Broadfield...

definitely wanting the T5 as my main source of lighting... so was trying to see what LEDs i can go with on the side.
You are absolutely right - the Reef Brite are very bulky and wont go with the giesemann matrixx...
 
I think the Ecoxotic Stunner strips may have been perfect... they are absolutely tiny. Come in a nice black casing, but only like 3/4" wide x 5/16" thick x whatever length. I know that they at least made them up to 48". I use to have a short one over my HOB refugium on an old nano build. Unfortunately they discontinued them for some reason. You might be able to still find something on Ebay, Amazon etc.

You can see how slim they are judging by the power connection lol:

upload_2017-9-28_10-18-23.png


Here's an old video to give you a little better idea of size.

 
Good thread!
Giesemann are great!! They are also made in Germany!
I'll learn more how to recommend LEDs for those who want those strips for their "pops".
Grandis.
 
Looking at trying out this fixture arrangement with hydras on either side slightly angled and
IMG-20211012-WA0011.jpg
Matrixx ii fixture in the centre . All at 12" AWL. Since i have 2 hydras from my earlier set up, **** of using it as a hybrid set up.
Will this arrangement cause any issues going ahead ,like say hot spots ? Leds will be for sunrise / sunset and t5 will take care of photo period .
Any suggestions, Inputs will help
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top