African cichlids tank to saltwater conversion

RxeefeRx

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2018
Messages
14
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
Alaska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

I was going to do a second African cichlids tank but Now I changed my mind and want to do saltwater. I have cycled the tank but didn’t add any fish. I currently have a CaribSea reef type substrate. My question is am I able to reuse the substrate and what do I need to do to make it safe for saltwater?
 
I don't see why you can't reuse the sand if it isn't dirty, just keep in mind you will need to re-cycle the tank as a new saltwater environment.

Since the sand was also soaked in freshwater, I wouldn't be surprised if it possibly throws off your salinity a bit initially.
 
I would stir it thoroughly a few times and then forget about it. Once you get the new bacteria to the bottom of it they will take over.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top