Aiptasia, how to kill it and only it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter mvan14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I don't understand when people say inject it into the mouth. Do they mean near the mouth? In any case as soon as I get close, they shrivel and hide.
With kalk paste you can squirt it into the mouth if your quick and have a syringe that works. I also cover the entire nem or hole it retracts into. I prefer peppermint shrimp or CBB fish but I had to kalk some the other day after I moved my CBB to another tank. They never really go away for me but natural predators keep them contained to the overflow and sump.
 

Attachments

  • 20240715_184952.jpg
    20240715_184952.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 6
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello reefing community. I have quite the outbreak of Aiptasia and haven’t been able to control it with much luck yet. I’ve scoured the forms and haven’t seen an answer to my question yet. If this has already been answered on another post please let me know.

I have a decent outbreak of aiptasia. Largest one is just shy of a quarter in diameter. There’s about a dozen heads, maybe more. So far I’ve added two peppermint shrimp but I fear I’m too late there and the outbreak is beyond their control. I’m debating on adding a file fish but I’d rather not. My tank is a 25 lagoon so my fish space is limited. Im not completely against it but am looking for other options too.

My idea is to start using f-aiptasia or something similar. My main concern is if I use a product like this will it hurt my anemone or or other corals? I’ve read horror stories of people losing their prized anemones by using one of these products but I haven’t seen anything concrete.

I appreciate any help.
I recently tackled aptasia successfully, by 3 techniques. It was a ongoing smallish outbreak (say less than 50 polyps). First I scooped out the ones that were on the sand with a net. Then I removed the smaller rocks that had polyps on them. These smaller rocks are being wet cured and won't return to the tank any time soon. For the remaining polyps that were on larger rocks (not too many of these), I used Instant Ocean Holdfast which was a putty like epoxy and pressed a dab on any remaining polyps basically sealing them off in their hidey holes. I had no success with other techniques (scrubbing, injecting lemon juice).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top