Aiptasia, majano, or other?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wtdenk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I respectfully disagree, due to work I am doing with the FWC and a few colleges in regards to anemone reproduction.

While not the typical aiptasia we see, they are currently listed under the genus as an aiptasia sp. and very closely resemble Aiptasia mutabilis when you look at all of the features of that specific anemone.

As with all things, it could be reclassified at a later date, but for now, that is what it falls under.

its not a major problem nem or invasive like indo nems you get as pests on coral frags. As I said.. it is not the typical aiptasia we think of as a bad guy (I am pretty sure you also said this). Yes there are relatives but saying it is aiptasia, burn it with fire gives the wrong impression of what they are dealing with.
 
Last edited:
I respectfully disagree, due to work I am doing with the FWC and a few colleges in regards to anemone reproduction.

While not the typical aiptasia we see, they are currently listed under the genus as an aiptasia sp. and very closely resemble Aiptasia mutabilis when you look at all of the features of that specific anemone.

As with all things, it could be reclassified at a later date, but for now, that is what it falls under.
I think what we're running into here is a case of /an/ Aiptasia vs THE Aiptasia. Taxonomy is interesting, but the question here is if it's THE Aiptasia, the one that causes problems in people's tanks.
 
its not a problem nem or invasive like indo nems you get as pests on coral frags. As I said.. it is not the typical aiptasia we think of as a bad guy.
Correct, not the typical "bad guy". Sadly, they do sting corals and do reproduce. With the ones I have, their reprodcution rate is similar to a typical healthy and happy BTA.

With that said, in most tanks, they will stay low, coexist with RFA with no issue and if corals are not placed near them, they can be kept.

A small version of a nem cannon also works well to remove them if one shows up where it is not wanted.

In all honesty, if it was me, I would keep them. But I am also the guy who has a tank dedicated to NPS nems, different types of Aips and majanos lol.
 
I think what we're running into here is a case of /an/ Aiptasia vs THE Aiptasia. Taxonomy is interesting, but the question here is if it's THE Aiptasia, the one that causes problems in people's tanks.
As stated, they are not the "typical ones" that spread like the plague. Think of these guys like little btas that do not walk much but split when happy or really stressed. The fact that can and will sting corals is something that everyone needs to be aware of when looking into these little nems.

Best to have all of the info available, than just saying they are "safe"
 
As stated, they are not the "typical ones" that spread like the plague. Think of these guys like little btas that do not walk much but split when happy or really stressed. The fact that can and will sting corals is something that everyone needs to be aware of when looking into these little nems.

Best to have all of the info available, than just saying they are "safe"

My response wasn't to your post specifically. Just in general people post a pic of a bulb nem or curley cue and the response it typically..

flame thrower fire GIF


I have one in my tank for over a year now and it is still just ONE. I keep it with true majanos and the manjanos have made many babies.

If a person does not like it or doesn't want something that can sting. Remove it but if you embrace diversity and think it is kinda neat, keep it imo. It isn't going to explode out of control and is no more a problem then most corals we keep.
 
My response wasn't to your post specifically. Just in general people post a pic of a bulb nem or curley cue and the response it typically..

flame thrower fire GIF


I have one in my tank for over a year now and it is still just ONE. I keep it with true majanos and the manjanos have made many babies.

If a person does not like it or doesn't want something that can sting. Remove it but if you embrace diversity and think it is kinda neat, keep it imo. It isn't going to explode out of control and is no more a problem then most corals we keep.
I agree. This is why I always try to provide as much info as possible. I love nems and even the "bad" ones are included in that. While, I do not have any in my main DT (I done screwed up now lol), if I was to get them, I would nuke them or remove them and move them to the "Home for Hated Critters" tank.

Curlyque nems do kill me when people scream aips. They reproduce very slowly and usally only by spawning. Unless you have 10-15, you more than likely have mostly males, as studies we are currently soing show them, to be mostly male. About 12:1 so far, that may change once we get some more specimens from different areas.
 
Also, @Tamberav it is always good talking with you. Unlike some, you keep things respectful and actually have a "discussion", vs BS, "just burn it with fire" or "you are full of it, it is 100% safe" lol.

Had to say that, as the past few weeks I have seen so much negative stuff and thrashing of people with different view points on all kinds of subjects on R2R.
 
They are aips, but do not spread near as quickly as what is normally seen in the hobby. They will sting corals, but do not do much damage to fish if they run across them.

With the above said, removing them is up to you.

They are easy to remove, especially if you can take the rocks out of the tank. Just follow the directions below and it will nuke them and the sperm/gametes inside of the nems. (these nems have been shown to reproduce via spawning and splitting, they cannot self fertilize like some species.)

Take a syringe and some almost boiling straight vinegar (if you have kalkwassser, you can make a mix of it and water as well, but it does not need to be heated). It does not need to be boiling. Just very hot.

Inject the nem directly dead center or close to it. Biggest thing is making sure it goes into the oral disk of the nem,

Let it sit for a minute and then you can scrape the nem off the rock.

In the area where the nem was, take a small makeup brush and apply a little bit of hydrgen peroxide to that area.

Let that sit for 2-3 minutes (this causes the gametes and sperm that the vinegar may not have gotten to not be viable).

Then rinse in some old tank water and place rock back in the tank.

This has worked for me 100% of the time.

It can also be done in the tank, but not recommended for in tank if you have a ton of them.


Edit: If you have a local reefer like me who likes these guys, there is another way to remove without killing them. Let me know if you want that option.
Never read about the boiling hot vinegar before, thank you, another item to research :) :) for future reference
 
Never read about the boiling hot vinegar before, thank you, another item to research :) :) for future reference
Close to boiling. You do not want to stick up the whole house lol. around 160-180 degrees is plenty.
 
Also, @Tamberav it is always good talking with you. Unlike some, you keep things respectful and actually have a "discussion", vs BS, "just burn it with fire" or "you are full of it, it is 100% safe" lol.

Had to say that, as the past few weeks I have seen so much negative stuff and thrashing of people with different view points on all kinds of subjects on R2R.

ya, I am not about internet fighting

Dog Reaction GIF


There is facebook for that need :p I guess that sort of behavior spills into forums though :( Lets not make that the new normal peoples!

That boiling vinegar is a neat idea, I use just boiling water but vinegar add another punch.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top