Air Freshener / Scented Candles / Etc.

jps1981

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 11, 2015
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
Location
Nashville, TN, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish referred me to The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium. I wanted a little more information on a part of it.

From the Introduction:
"If you or your house mates like to spray air freshener or light candles, try to keep them as far away from the tank as possible. This is the number one cause for Cyanobacteria in my area, and causes many people to give up when they could have just moved their candles in another room!"

How does this relate to aquatics and fish? I realize they breathe air that's circulated through the water (or some can come up for air, like a betta). But can a scented candle's airborne particulates transfer into the water itself? I did some reading on Cyanobacteria but found no mention of any sort of airborne cause, like air fresheners or candles. Though I follow the advice given, I prefer to know why I'm doing things and how it all connects together. It may be a reason to avoid other household item that aren't listed, for example.

Some background - I am a reptile keeper first and foremost. I have 7 display cases (not tubs or racks) with some stupidly expensive exotics. I understand the sensitivity of animals to the air quality and why not to do anything dumb like cleaning the inside of the enclosures with Windex. I've read of incidents where heavy chemical odors have killed entire collections of amphibians and arachnids. But, the line about air fresheners and (particularly) scented candles was one I didn't expect to see regarding aquariums.

Most of my reptiles have 1 primordial lung that is direly sensitive to smoke, chemicals, and stuff of the sort. But they're also constantly breathing open air. So it makes sense that you'd want to go easy on them and keep the air quality as good as possible with good air flow.
 
That has not been my experiences. Haven't had to deal with cyano in well over a decade. During that time, candles (( scented ones )) have been burned near the tanks without issues.

40 breeder with candles next to it --- even lite in this picture. Tank was up in that location for 3+ years. Took down 6 months ago to put up a 210.

002-1.jpg


The 210, granted it has a canopy, but candles are next to it.

canopy1_zps0poy6bti.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top