Algae scrubber with chaeto in my refuigm. Is that ok?

Santa Monica,

It shouldn't hurt kepping mine my size sense it fits and is working? Or should I make it smaller? Can it be too big?
 
It will only hurt in that it won't reach the maximum filtering that a small screen would (because it will always be a flat thin layer that never grows 3D into the light and flow). So, since it's pretty simple, it might a good idea to go ahead and cut it in half. Saves on water flow too.
 
When you say cut in half, you mean Vertical? Or cut in half Horizontal? Right now it is 14X12ish. If you mean vertical, which is what I think you mean...how much should I take out...Like an inch down the center.

Also it makes that squirt noise from the get-go, so it shouldn't hurt expanding the slot more right?

Thanks again
 
Hey would mid you mind posting how you made your ATS. I am looking to do one myself and just not sure on the design yet
 
That guide is a good start, but he just posted the new guidelines for smaller screens and brighter light that you'll want to check out.
 
Ok guys, it has been one month and all my stats in my tank are perfect. My corals and fish are thriving and my rose bubbletip anenome just split. My ATS is full of algae.

What is weird is when I cut down my ATS I also got rid of all my Cheato except a very small ball in my refiugim. Now my refiugim is full agian of Cheato. I thought if all was working well, my Cheato wouldn't grow anymore. Any idea what is going on? Any info would be great!

Ammo = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Phos = .10

just an update...I am gonna get rid of some more Cheato Sunday when I do my tank maint.

What does everyone think?

Thanks
 
You still have enough nutrients in your system to supply both the scrubber and chaeto. Once the nutrients start becoming limited, the scrubber will get them first, and the chaeto will stop growing or shrink.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top