Algea on glass... I've never confirmed what this stuff is.

jujumaster89

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2019
Messages
31
Reaction score
5
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank a few years. In the last year, this brown algea-like film covers my glass. I have high silicon based onATI water testing at 600micrograms/l. ATI suggests 100 micrograms/l as the target. Phasphates are between .04-.1 and Nitrates are between 3-10. I operate at high pH of 3.25 with diurnal swings of .1




glass.jpg
 
I've had my tank a few years. In the last year, this brown algea-like film covers my glass. I have high silicon based onATI water testing at 600micrograms/l. ATI suggests 100 micrograms/l as the target. Phasphates are between .04-.1 and Nitrates are between 3-10. I operate at high pH of 3.25 with diurnal swings of .1




glass.jpg
Looking at the rocks and sand bed it appears to be a combination of typical film algae and Cyanobacteria. Looks like you have a lot of cyano in the tank and it has migrated to areas where is can grab hold on the film. Your PH is 3.25?
 
ditto @brmc comments and question!
 
does appear to be cyano. try some chemipure blue to starve out the cyano, and continue to test water parameters.
 
Thanks for the replies. I will try chemipure or something like that. I should note that the color may be off as it really looks brown. The bottom is actually coralline algae... no sand. And as a correction, the pH is 8.25.
 
Under my tank lights with a lot of blue my green film algae and green hair algae in my frag tank looks brown. Never knew it was green until I put just white lights on! It drove me crazy thinking I had diatoms or Dino’s for a long while. I discovered the GHA algae was actually green when I pulled it out manually. Lol
 
Well, that's crazy.... it's green in the back! I can say that putting the tank under 7K lighting instead of 18K is fascinating... it's like a different tank! The green may be a new issue as I still see some of the brownish stuff mixed in there. Oh joy, nothing like a medley of issues to deal with!
algae.jpg
 
Well, that's crazy.... it's green in the back! I can say that putting the tank under 7K lighting instead of 18K is fascinating... it's like a different tank! The green may be a new issue as I still see some of the brownish stuff mixed in there. Oh joy, nothing like a medley of issues to deal with!
algae.jpg
I know right! And yes you have a very diverse ecosystem. Sorry couldn’t help myself! I don’t think that is bad through as could be just basic brown algae. Doesn’t loo like Dino’s so that is good!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top