Alk levels...in need of advice

SeaDeezCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
17
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost a complete crash and I think it might be my alk. I have been mixing redsea blue bucket with redsea pro at a 1:4 ratio resulting in an alk of 11.3. I have been keeping my tank stable with dosing but my corals continue to get worse. My parameters I think are solid. I am running a xr15gen3 in a redsea 170 with sump. I am using the spsphx program with a taper to 35%. Here are my parameters:

Sal 1.025
Temp 78 degrees
Alk 11.3
Cal 460
Mg 1320
Nit 15
Pho .03
Should I ditch the redsea pro and stick with blue bucket?
 
Personally Im not a fan of running ALK higher than 9, but like Randy said, your numbers are more than workable.

Im going to suggest running your lights to acclimation up to 55% - I have XR30 PRO G5 on AB+ running my schedule at 55%, and I only get ~175 PAR 13" under my light - running on a XL200 - you have to be sub 100 Par or less at the 35%, and that would be the best figure at the top of your waterline.

Hows your flow?
Whats your PH?
 
Flow is good. I am running two mp40 on opposite sides with sync. I am just running the preprogrammed cycle. It might be ph. That is the only parameter I havent been hawking.
 
My opinion - Your phosphate is too low, shoot for .08

Mix the salts 50/50 for an alk around 9.5, but I don't think that's why your corals are dying.
 
#1 LIGHTING - your PAR is TOO LOW. Guaranteed

Check your flow... I have to MP10s in my tank running with a wide flow attachment on both, and its overkill above 30% - I run Anti Sync. You can have too much flow, which is causing the corals to be irritated.
 
Lights up, flow down. Giving it a try. If it doesn’t work you might see it on Craigslist in DC.
 
Those parameters wouldn’t cause a crash, but the alk of 11.2 is a bit high. Personally I feel most comfortable with the highest being 8,8.6. I also noticed your phone is a bit low as some one else mentioned, that could be raised as well - kali
 
My tank is almost a complete crash and I think it might be my alk. I have been mixing redsea blue bucket with redsea pro at a 1:4 ratio resulting in an alk of 11.3. I have been keeping my tank stable with dosing but my corals continue to get worse. My parameters I think are solid. I am running a xr15gen3 in a redsea 170 with sump. I am using the spsphx program with a taper to 35%. Here are my parameters:

Sal 1.025
Temp 78 degrees
Alk 11.3
Cal 460
Mg 1320
Nit 15
Pho .03
Should I ditch the redsea pro and stick with blue bucket?
Are you dosing to keep the alk stable? or just water changes?
 
Those parameters wouldn’t cause a crash, but the alk of 11.2 is a bit high. Personally I feel most comfortable with the highest being 8,8.6. I also noticed your phone is a bit low as some one else mentioned, that could be raised as well - kali
I think you are right even tho high stable alk shouldn’t be the problem I think bringing it down to a 9.5 won’t hurt.
 
Oh lordie, lord, I owe you guys big. This is day 2 of my lights up and flow down and everything is starting to look good again. Everything is opening and color is looking bright. Not all heroes wear capes. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 8C63B542-C559-419B-99E8-EF5E7BD40FE6.jpeg
    8C63B542-C559-419B-99E8-EF5E7BD40FE6.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 35

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top