All for reef powder - Stir daily or weekly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Nathan O'Brien

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2023
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
New Zealand
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I've been using AFR for awhile, and wondering about the small amount silt at the bottom of my dosing container.
My question is - should I be giving it a mix up / stir daily or weekly to keep everything suspended?

Or does it not matter?

Cheers
 
Hi All

I've been using AFR for awhile, and wondering about the small amount silt at the bottom of my dosing container.
My question is - should I be giving it a mix up / stir daily or weekly to keep everything suspended?

Or does it not matter?

Cheers
Doesn't matter. You can give your dosing container a shake/spin when you refill your ATO though. I've found it makes no difference though.
 
Doesn't matter. You can give your dosing container a shake/spin when you refill your ATO though. I've found it makes no difference though.
Do you have a small amount of fine dust on the bottom of yours?
 
Hi All

I've been using AFR for awhile, and wondering about the small amount silt at the bottom of my dosing container.
My question is - should I be giving it a mix up / stir daily or weekly to keep everything suspended?

Or does it not matter?

Cheers
I know you are dosing, but I keep 500 ml under the tank in a bottle, shake and manually feed daily. Easy.
 
Hi All

I've been using AFR for awhile, and wondering about the small amount silt at the bottom of my dosing container.
My question is - should I be giving it a mix up / stir daily or weekly to keep everything suspended?

Or does it not matter?

Cheers

I mix and store 3600 ml and do not stir it. It sits under my display next to the sump. Out of sight out of mind. I dose about 85 ml/day and do not see any issues with it where it is.

Basically I'm grabbing 1800 ml rodi water, placing it on a magnetic stir, drop in the magnet pill, let it get to room temp, measure out AFR powder, gently place into beaker, turn on magnetic stir, let it do its magic for about 30 minutes or so until clear and Bob's your Uncle. I then move it to the storage container and repeat for another batch.

Tropic Marin / Lou has said in a few different places that if there is any residual it is fine or no harm. Sometimes I see a few bits or pieces but mostly it is pretty clear. I just rinse out the container before I make the next batch.
 
I mix and store 3600 ml and do not stir it. It sits under my display next to the sump. Out of sight out of mind. I dose about 85 ml/day and do not see any issues with it where it is.

Basically I'm grabbing 1800 ml rodi water, placing it on a magnetic stir, drop in the magnet pill, let it get to room temp, measure out AFR powder, gently place into beaker, turn on magnetic stir, let it do its magic for about 30 minutes or so until clear and Bob's your Uncle. I then move it to the storage container and repeat for another batch.

Tropic Marin / Lou has said in a few different places that if there is any residual it is fine or no harm. Sometimes I see a few bits or pieces but mostly it is pretty clear. I just rinse out the container before I make the next batch.
Yeah, I listened to this last night in fact. He also mentioned if you mix that much (near a gallon, you may also see growth in the water which isn't anything to worry about.
 
I mix for 30 min, magnetic stirrer. 1000 ML at a time. Never re-stir. I've had a little brown color develop before. Never issues with dosing or coral.
 
Late to the party but did any of you that didn't stir every day do an ICP test? I was lacking on a number of trace elements. Also been battling dinos where they would seem to disappear and then re-immerge. My thought was trace elements in balance with a new batch then out of whack towards the end of the container. I found a lot settling but no growth in the container.
 
Late to the party but did any of you that didn't stir every day do an ICP test? I was lacking on a number of trace elements. Also been battling dinos where they would seem to disappear and then re-immerge. My thought was trace elements in balance with a new batch then out of whack towards the end of the container. I found a lot settling but no growth in the container.

There is no reason to stir the mixture daily let alone weekly. I make 3600 ml batches and it sits until it is consumed. I dose 90 ml/day in my 210 mixed reef. One thing I do when mixing up a new batch is to weigh the product vs use the scoop. I personally get more accurate batches this way. I also use warm RODI water and mix it until clear which is about 20 to 30 minutes. Pour into my holding container and make another batch.

I do not run ICP tests monthly so would not be able to quantify your question about potency of a freshly mixed bath vs the bottom of the barrel. I honestly see no need nor is it something I would entertain as I do not do any additive based target dosing like moonshiners (no disrespect I just do not use that method). My point I guess is if the container is of good quality, lid secured, away from direct sunlight, or other standard storage practices I see no reason to do anything other than dose.

The battle that you are facing could be from any number of reasons and in order for your peers to help may need more information like how long has the system been up, water parameters, changes, etc.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top