almost 2 year tank! and no3 always over 30ppm

baslewprime

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
233
Reaction score
85
Location
Miami, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I need some advice I have a mixed reef tank running for almost 2 years. but my no3 always over 30ppm

I feed my fish every 2-3 days, and nothing works!

my parameters

aio NUVO 40g
no3 +30ppm
po4 0.030 hand dosing
alk 9.0
cal 455
mag 1480


My Marinepure balls, live rock and the skimmer are doing nothing for nitrate. am thinking they are 2 porous, receiving 2 much O2 and instead of reducing nitrate, are a very good nitrate factory. Should I remove it? or add matrix? maybe de-nitrate?
 
You have a nitrate factory somewhere. If you have sand, remove some and see if it drops, removal of detritus in the sump, rinse the bricks, wet skim, and increasing flow in your tank will surely help. Try not to chase numbers unless you see a reason to change it.. For example, if you see alot of nuisance algae that is not eaten then it can be beneficial to reduce. If its stable just make a few natural tweaks.
 
You have a nitrate factory somewhere. If you have sand, remove some and see if it drops, removal of detritus in the sump, rinse the bricks, wet skim, and increasing flow in your tank will surely help. Try not to chase numbers unless you see a reason to change it.. For example, if you see alot of nuisance algae that is not eaten then it can be beneficial to reduce. If its stable just make a few natural tweaks.

My tank has alot of flow and everything looks good no algae no cyano, corals and fish are happy.

I do not have sand, I love barebottom tank less problem and maintenance.
 
I think you high nitrates is probably beneficial to your tank. You can bring it down by improving your biological filtration but if it aint broke dont fix it. My nitrates are always going to 0 so I dose once per month. My phosphate are usually high over .1ppm. I noticed Acros grow faster with nutrients and it gives me piece of mind as I have been busy lately and really only have to focus on keeping my ALK stable.
 
Hello guys, I need some advice I have a mixed reef tank running for almost 2 years. but my no3 always over 30ppm

I feed my fish every 2-3 days, and nothing works!

my parameters

aio NUVO 40g
no3 +30ppm
po4 0.030 hand dosing
alk 9.0
cal 455
mag 1480


My Marinepure balls, live rock and the skimmer are doing nothing for nitrate. am thinking they are 2 porous, receiving 2 much O2 and instead of reducing nitrate, are a very good nitrate factory. Should I remove it? or add matrix? maybe de-nitrate?
Chaeto refugium with a $20 red grow light from Lowe's or home Depot will fix your problem
 
My tank has alot of flow and everything looks good no algae no cyano, corals and fish are happy.

I do not have sand, I love barebottom tank less problem and maintenance.
Sand = sand burrowing wrasses, nass snails, conchs, ceriths, and other fun stuff though
 
Here a pic of my tank, I can watch my tank while Im away.

oo.png
 
Saltwater fish need fed 1-5 times daily depending on species. Don’t starve your fish to chase a number on a test kit. What kits are you using? 30 isn’t that high, I wouldn’t worry. If you have detectable phosphate you could carbon dose if you really want them lower. I’d leave it be though if everything looks happy.
 
My tank has alot of flow and everything looks good no algae no cyano, corals and fish are happy.

I do not have sand, I love barebottom tank less problem and maintenance.

No algae issues, coral and fish are happy...don't mess with it. I had nitrates as high as yours(as well as phosphates), I added a cheap grow light and chaeto and the nitrates dropped considerably over a couple of months.
 
Here a pic of my tank, I can watch my tank while Im away.

oo.png
I had 8 fish and fed 1 cube of pe mysis or lrs daily with half a sheet of nori a day in a 125 with two tangs. I literally couldn't raise my nitrates over 2. Get a chaeto refugium going and sit back and never sorry about it. If you have more than just clowns, feed every day. If you do have just clowns, every other is okay
 
Saltwater fish need fed 1-5 times daily depending on species. Don’t starve your fish to chase a number on a test kit. What kits are you using? 30 isn’t that high, I wouldn’t worry. If you have detectable phosphate you could carbon dose if you really want them lower. I’d leave it be though if everything looks happy.

Thank you,

Im using red sea test kit.
salifert for mag
hanna for po4
 
I agree with those that say leave don’t chase numbers. You say all is happy that’s what matters.

I have PHO4-0.1 and NO3- zero ( I have fuge with massive light and cheato. Corals are happy, colored, and growing, BUT my GHA is out of control.

I have a friend with pho4-0.1, and no3-65, and it is the nicest tank in the area, full blown SPS.

there is an interesting article on N to P ratio here:

 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top